What is the purpose of CAC?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TylerH, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wombatmurphy

wombatmurphy New Member

Your pomposity is evident. I hate to take on a numismatist of your stature, but it’s late here, so here I go. My grandad introduced me into coins at age six. Then, I could still find the occasional IHC in my change, Buffaloes were plentiful. Yes, I filled holes in my fold out Whitmans. Yes, I bought coins as a kid to fill the holes. Not much research, but got the enjoyment. Guess I had no idea or appreciation. Just a young man being foolish. Do you hold me in disdain?
    Are you now the arbiter of who should be collecting coins.?

markr and LA_Geezer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

You waited a year and a half before making your 1st post?? Nice....
    I like your strategy, walk up to the biggest, baddest, tough guy in the jail block and punch 'em right in the throat !!

harley bissell and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

To be fair, I think @Paddy54 was talking about higher end coins that are actually worth sending to TPGs and CAC not the run-of-the-mill stuff. I didn't interpret any of those posts as applying to kids collecting coins from pocket change.

Santinidollar and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I regret looking up the term hogwash.
    hogwash.jpg

Kasia, green18, Paddy54 and 1 other person like this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

For some strange reason I don't think Paddy was talking about someone like you or any kid filling holes. Apparently there's plenty of pomposity to go around.

Numismat and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Except the green been doesn't indicate the top 30%, it means the top 66%, and more then half of all green been coins are therefore average for the grade and nothing special. Yet they bring higher prices. The comparison to increased value at auction would be proper IF you could definitely say that all the non- beaned coins have bee examined by CAC and found wanting. If you can't then you can't really say the beaned coins are better than the non-beaned one and the prices are because of the bean and not because the quality of the coins are any better.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well...well ...well....Our little wall flower after 18 months ,as a member here, has Sasshayed out on the dance floor to dazzel us with his fancy two step foot work!
    And at 3:00 am no less., sorry if my post caused you to loose sleep. Mamma always said nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Or that my post forced you out from behined the green curtain !
    Prehasp I should feel honored ? That you pick my post to reply, and be your first post here on CT.
    Truth be known.....
    Yes I am a collector and a old school one at that.....never have claimed to be an "Expert" here or even in the business I have been in for the last 52 years.
    The term expert to me is someone whom isn't foulable. Haven't met any humans in the last 65 years that can fit that definition. However I am pretty certain there's a few aliens on CT that will troll your post,and tell you for certain that they are "Experts" not only on numismatics but everything else as well.
    My question is did you misinterpret my post? As I wasn't coming down on anyone for their collecting just making my point on "CAC" do you understand CAC ?
    Since you broke the ice now,and seem like you have a view on this topic,why don't you tell us a tad bit more about your collection .
    You should realize by now there are quite a few 60 y/o, and up members here,that said.... you're amoung members whom as a kid paid for comic books with silver quateres,used Buffalo nickels to obtain an ice cream cone, as well as Indian and Lincoln cents to buy penny candy. ...or is it cent candy???? I'm sure that someone will correct me on that....but thats ok... as again I'm not an "Expert"!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  9. Paddy54

Not to be confused with a pig in a blanket . However I do recommend using a dryer sheet set at a cool setting.... unless you prefer your bacon crisp. ;)

Gregg likes this.
  10. Paddy54

My take a late bloomer....:D

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  11. onecenter

onecenter Member

Reading this thread has been illuminating. After 49 years of collecting coins, I never knew what a CAC sticker was or what they meant. Back in 1986 when PCGS was founded, I had very strong doubts about third-party grading. Those doubts have never changed and have been reinforced. I own just two certified coins, both 1994D proof-like modern US commemoratives. I do not see this situation changing any time soon.

LA_Geezer and Paddy54 like this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I would suggest that our new member take advice and counsel from some of the good coin minds on this site. I certainly have gotten a free education but that requires accepting the idea that self-appointed experts seldom are.

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Us older collectors do have issues with TPG's as stickers as well.
    Yes I had serous issues years ago telling me what my coin graded as I already know....well knew by my standards.
    Half the fun of collecting as a kid or teen was sitting at shows or club meeting and going back and forth swaping or trading coins.
    As two of you manybe more would sit and go back and forth pluses and minuses then deciding if a trade would or could be made.
    As stated in another thread I am no Expert.....not to others standards....I am human as well are the TPG's and CAC people.
    Even the best surgeon makes mistakes....And yeah we consider them as experts.
    I my eyes the only person I need to please is myself......yeah I do post coins and read the other members replies....I do read their posts with an open mind.
    I do respect their views.....but again these are views are from foulable humans!
    That said no matter what is on a slab be it a gradeor a sticker. Atters not to me...what does? my eye and my resource to make a sound decision, and most of all bei g happy with my choices be it grade and coin.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

When I started collecting seriously, the TPGs were already well established. (For reference, I was born in 1985, the TPG's were born in 1986). To me, using the TPGs as a resource is just part of how I learned to collect. CAC did not come about until I was an adult, and had already formed many of my opinions on grading, collecting, and buying coins.

To the newer collectors, I suppose CAC is the same way. Anyone who started collecting after they appeared, or started buying high end coins after they became a significant market factor, just accepts CAC as part of the way the hobby is.

I think even old timers who collected before TPGs have mostly assimilated; and realistically I suppose I'll assimilate into the CAC-fold.

However, the major distinction in my mind is that the TPGs were revolutionary and provided a huge service that was in much need at the time. I just don't see the same need for CAC - which is why I fight it's so-called necessity so hard.

Numismat, longshot and Paddy54 like this.
  15. Paddy54

Oh Gregg if you get a visit from PETA ....I hope for youe sake... I hope it's the hot women wearing the lettuce bikinis....especially on a hot 90 degree plus day.
    Unless your married sort of hard explaining a half naked lady to the Mrs. As she wilts in your living room.:woot:

Gregg likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Change is hard for some.....especially when it interfers with a style one is a custom to.
    The older you get the harder it is for some to accept change.
    Americans in general love a conspiracy and look for such more offten then not.
    To suggest that this is done to control the market can effect a mind set in many different ways.
    Some may believe it is for the good of the hobby....others are going to believe different.
    Those of us 50 + years of age, do find it hard to believe a option other than what we believe to be in our mind set.
    And yes again we can be incorrect also....but again one only needs to accept what we believe from our years of collecting. It comes down to personal choice....

17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Based on your response, I don't think that you understood my original post, but that's okay. Nonetheless, knowledge and education have been huge rackets since the beginning of civilization. The tradition continues with the educational system today. One has to be careful not to go down the wrong path and avoid the rackets. But I don't think all of it is a racket, but a lot of it is and a lot of this hobby is. My main point was that TPGs are no more a racket than anything else in the hobby, but we decide to just accept this racket because we like the product.

18. Paddy54

There seems to be quite a bit of mis understood post in this thread.
    Like many other topics people tend to decide what side suits them and then build their defences.
    I am a firm believer in the power of knowledge. As well sharing it... I always thiink about being taught to ride a bike.....they the joy of teaching a child the same.
    Both are a moment in time that are never forgotten. :)

Numismat likes this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It has been my experience that anyone who feels the need to announce their supposed "expertise" is actually trying harder to convince themselves than they are trying to convince others. Sadly, we've had more than a few in my time here...

green18 and Numismat like this.
  20. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Very insightful post. We're from the same generation (born in 1982) and I also became seriously involved in numismatics after the TPG game was well established. The TPGs were very necessary in the age of mail-bid auctions and sight unseen purchases, that I get. In present times the importance has shifted to matters of authenticity, which I also get. The grade portion though, and things like CAC, that come into play after authentication, I see as an excuse for not getting your own knowledge up. Just the very fact that grading standards change and the same TPG will up a grade by a point or two from what they thought it was 10 years ago tells me this is not a reliable system. The coin didn't change in that time... the issue is something else.

21. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

...good question - curious about more replies on that topic, since it's interesting to see how the mind of people split and what's the focus of collection - some people only chase for stickers or labels - today you are rated by your "pricetag" :(
    Some see it as an additional security label or just to glam up their collection. (like value value or passion value and so on...) *grabbing my popcorn and see where this thread is going to....* :happy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.