What is the most number of Repunched Mint Marks on a coin ever documented?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Jan 1, 2015.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

What is the most number of repunched mint marks (RPM) on a coin? I've seen two, threes and even some in auctions that claim to have four... are there more? What's the most that's ever been documented?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I sold this D/D/D/S a while back.... :)

[​IMG]

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Nice! You're in first place for most mint marks so far lol. And that sounds expensive.

4 is the number to beat!

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

A die maker would take a thin steel rod (punch) that had the mint mark engraved on one end and hold it in place on the working die where the mint mark was to be applied. Using a mallet he tapped an impression of the mint mark into the die. In most cases it was necessary to strike the punch more than once with the mallet in order to leave a satisfactory impression of the mint mark in the die.

If there was any kind of movement of the mint mark punch in between the taps of the mallet, the die would end up with a doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled mint mark. Usually, the multiple mint mark impressions would be overlapping images, but in some extreme cases the mint mark impressions would be totally separated.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Markus, even though your posting above has appeared in several other sources, it seems to be copyrighted by Wexler, and our rules do require it to be acknowledged, so please do so or I will have to remove it. It is good to provide information, but if it isn't a person's own work, it should be acknowledged or just the URL given.

Thanks, Jim

7. Markus1959

OOPS! Sorry. Yeah I had the entire atricle stored in my "FAVORITES" and just copied that paragraph for general information!!

8. Markus1959

9. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I sold this 1946 S/S/S/S DDR Roosevelt Dime a little bit ago:

1946 S Roosevelt Dime RPM 001 DDR 001.jpg
    1946 S Roosevelt Dime RPM 001 DDR 001 - MM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted