What is the highest quality Counterfeit you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by tlasch, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Width is not a good indicator in circulated bills because wrinkling causes the bill to seem to shrink. Any good counterfeiter should be able to get the width right. New bills are another story, because they are precisely cut.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Another poor indicator, not present on these bills, is the use of "counterfeit detection" pens. The ink mark left by the pen supposedly changes to a certain color if the bill is counterfeit. According to what I was told by the people at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the pens only react to the ph (acidity), which can be duplicated in counterfeit bills and changed through environmental factors in genuine bills. The Bureau does not recommend relying on the pens.

4. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I also noticed on the third note that the gold color is not the same

Dynoking likes this.
  5. Odomax

Odomax Member

I suspect # 1 intentionally roughed up, lack of detail and watermarks not lined up. But I'd take it in a minute without knowing one is fake. Scarry

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, iodine from the pen reacts with starch in wood-based paper, which includes most printer paper. Currency paper doesn't have that (made from cotton, right?), so the streak stays yellow, rather than turning blue-black.

I can imagine some ways to short-circuit that reaction in wood-based paper, but I'd just as soon keep them to myself.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

The gold color in the "20" is made with metallic flakes that change color depending on the angle viewed, so even slightly different camera angles would get different colors on genuine notes. I suspect the top note does not shift. This is hard for all but the most sophisticated counterfeiters to fake and so is a good, though not infallible sign. Government sponsored counterfeiters, such as North Korea or Iran, can duplicate this.

8. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Just going by what they told me in Fort Worth, but you are probably right. It would not work on non-starched paper, and there are a lot of them available at art shops, and would not work on reprocessed genuine paper.

9. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I don't imagine I am giving away any secrets to counterfeiters who care, since the information is already widely available.

10. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

I vote for the middle one.

11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

The last one (Star note). The signatures are wrong.

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Green stamp on word twenty

13. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

So Tlasch, how did you deal with the situation when you determined the notes were counterfeit? Did you call the police and try to stall the person passing the note?

14. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Honestly I can't believe the never of some people who choose to counterfeit. I mean
    As the Manager I took his plates down, and contacted the Police non emergency. I am like Sherlock when I am focused. I noticed he had a stack of them in his passenger seat. In hindsight I should have skipped the middleman and called the Secret Service.

He was good, but I was better, to date have a track record of 100% detection rate of counterfeits. (Granted if I guess if one was fake enough to pass me, it might as well be considered real). <Hopefully none of that sounds cocky, I just know the smell & taste & feel of US Paper Currency>.

My favorite part of that job was when people who worked there though older bills were fake and would ask me about it. Best buy out the drawer was a 1953 Red Seal $5 my cashier thought was fake.

15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I recently picked up some modern counterfeits, including the most convincing modern counterfeit $100 I've ever seen. It would fool me 100 times out of 100. Superdollar indeed. The $50 is good, don't get me wrong, but I can tell it's off. The $100 - nope. And I am *really* good at detecting fakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

SteveInTampa likes this.
  16. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Those both look good enough to fool me. What are the giveaways?

tlasch likes this.
  17. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Could you post a hgh res scan?? I really would love to analyze these. So far, honestly these would have passed by hands....

Let me ask, are these so good it took a machine to verify they are fake??

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

How are you able to BOTH get & keep these notes? It looks like they were punched and stamped by some authority. Pulling one from circulation and keeping it is fine, but these seem to have gotten to a bank at the least. You must be "connected."

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Funny how they both have AA prefix suffix letters around the serial number.
    They both look good, I would say the background inside the portrait of the 50 is not right.

20. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The signatures are correct for the series....Anna Escobedo Cabral and Henry M. Paulson Jr.

The top note is the counterfeit, and the other two notes are 100% legitimate.

Michael K, tlasch and Dynoking like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Think the mail box is missing on the hundred

Draft saved Draft deleted