what is the grade of this morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Allan, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This coin looks very very shiny. It's over 130 years old. Has it been preserved in a glacier? If it's not original (this much luster/ high grade would be very expensive).
    Silver which has circulated a little will have a very distinctive patina. So you have to ask yourself, what happened to this coin to make it this shiny? Anything that was done is going to lower the value not raise it. But many people will take coins like this, polish them up and then sell them at higher prices to non collectors. (Flea market, etc.)
    That's one possibility. Better photos might show a more natural coin, or, whatever the seller was trying to hide.

Johndoe2000$ and Santinidollar like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Yep, it definitely looks like the seller was attempting to hide the flaws, but didn't/ couldn't hide the polished look simultaneously. At least there's the return policy (maybe), and a lesson learned in the process.
    There are sellers here on C.T. that will give good/fair deals on coins. With decent pics.

4. Allan

Allan Member

GoldFinger i got it off of ebay for $55.00 and when i get it in hand i will take some pics and post them

5. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

I have seen lacquer create that effect - Keep us informed / Curious what more normal pictures look like

6. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Just checked out the seller - No Real Red flags
    Its probably a coin that BB'd and he is dumping the remnants.

7. Allan

Allan Member

IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1033.JPG Here is some more pics of the morgan

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I suppose you can't remove it from the holder if you want to return it? It still looks unnatural.

9. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Looks like a coin I had that was lacquered … Makes everything look too smooth.

10. Allan

Allan Member

ok jgrinz thanks

11. dividebytube

dividebytube Active Member

Recently I've been seeing some Washington quarters on Ebay that look a lot like this - very shiny almost proof, but, at least with the quarter, a slight loss of detail. Almost like were given an additional coating to hide flaws. Of course I don't have one on hand to see if it was a trick of photography or some chemical process.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The photos are juiced. Avoid this seller like the plague

13. Allan

Allan Member

Here is the grade it got from NGC

3493806_Full_Obv.jpg 3493806_Full_Rev.jpg

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  14. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Well, looks like a 62 in the new pictures. Maybe even a high end 62.
    Not much resemblance to the previous pics though, obviously.

Draft saved Draft deleted