What is the grade of this 1/2 dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by everett wright, May 30, 2015.

1. everett wright

everett wright New Member

think it should be AU or their about ! 2015-03-02_0002.jpg 2015-03-02_0004.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

AU details. cleaned.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

45/50 and likely cleaned but I cannot tell for sure from that picture.

6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

EF-45, looks heavily dipped or cleaned

I think I see hairlines

7. everett wright

everett wright New Member

Thank you for your response. This coin was bought from a coin dealer in Roanoke Va in 1953 ,don't know about the cleaning,I've had it since then,in with other assorted coins in my hoard.

coinman1234 likes this.
  8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Cleaning was a standard and more accepted practice way back in the day. It could have been cleaned a hundred years before it made it's way into your collection. It just seems far too bright to not have been at some point. That's not to say that it's not a nice collectable coin though. Frankly I feel that waaaay too much emphasis is placed on cleaning. I avoid them for the most part just because they are hard to turn over if you get a nicer one.

swamp yankee and afantiques like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That's where I live. Yonce's or Roanoke Coin Shop?

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no chance AU<

I'd go high end VF+ cleaned

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd say EF.

Unless stored in a vacuum or nitrogen there is no way a silver item could last almost 200 years that bright without some tarnish removal, but I'd have no problem with that. It's just the way things are. TPGs might not like it but as far as I am concerned they can spin on it.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The surfaces just don't look right.

13. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

You all give a good grade,XF-AU, on the coin, even with it being 'cleaned'. Even with 'light cleaning', doesn't this clearly take away from the full value of the coin from it's original look ? Why give it the high grade with a cleaning ?

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The OP asks for the GRADE, not the value. The coin has, IMO, high XF details whether it is cleaned or not.

bear32211 likes this.
  15. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

My bad I should not have used the word value. I feel clean just takes away from the natural look of any piece.

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Most here would agree with you. Bottom line, he bought it in the 1950's, probably for $20, so he's got that going for him.

bear32211 likes this.
  17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I feel clean just takes away from the natural look of any piece.

The natural look of this piece is 'melted down and made into something else'.

The freakish look is the one it has, a very uncommon survivor of almost 200 years, and I'd be far more likely to be admiring the design and preservation than badmouthing it because it may have been cleaned in the past.

Many dealers and collectors, especially outside the US, have a fairly casual attitude to 'cleaned' coins, because we are not under the influence of third party graders and make up our own minds about things.

Apart from their scrap metal value, all coin values are notional and subjective, and I'd not waste time going over a coin for signs of past cleaning, I'd just go with the impression that coin made on my wannabuy instinct.

18. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Almost every coin has had a "bath" at least ONCE before we get them.I've had a couple that didn't and would not touch them barehanded they stink! God knows what kind of leprosy is on them? A nice steaming/soak in boiling hot distilled water and you get to see what you have w/out a trip to the doc's....

19. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

20. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted