What is the best way to break open a proof set?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ljkvette, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

regular pliers work if you want to break it open, but you can always use a tool, like a kitchen knife also, or exacto, but it does not matter just split it from the side. waite don't cut yourself, or try hard, if you try hard your doing it wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It is very understandable that when your IQ test score, and your shoe size match, that it definitely would be a major challenge to operate a simple tool as a pair of vise grip pliers.

FooFighter, Inspector43 and wxcoin like this.
  4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Yes, there must be a pair of "vice" grips for sex, drugs and gambling some member use I'm not aware of!

5. Autoturf

and someones Mouth , not you:)

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I have big feet:woot:. But I'd be banned from CT if I took the big feet association to other anatomical things.

7. Autoturf

ya Paddy, just kiddin.

8. Autoturf

Anyone else want to argue about how to open plastic, bring it on. Im bored :)

Islander80-83 and wxcoin like this.
  9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Dump the slab in some liquid nitrogen and hit it with a hammer.

Autoturf likes this.
  10. Autoturf

Ill buy the proof sets, we can try liquid oxygen on a bbq . with some 100 proof prior. Na Moonshine. smooth Kentucky moonshine. rare.

wxcoin likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Liquid nitrogen you wouldn't need a hammer just drop it 6 inches...which reminds me of a HS bio and Liquid nitrogen treating it on several things flowers, candy , and a gold fish the would of began to swim in it bowl ,if not for the fact the teacher dropped the fish from 6 inches on her desk.... parts are parts.....and frozen parts shatter....just like a long stem rose....did....

wxcoin likes this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Funny thread. I built two presidential sets for my grandkids and had to open quite a few presidential proof sets. I laid a towel on the table in case one popped out. I just twisted the set back and forth until I heard a crack, then lessened the pressure of my twists until the crack was pronounced. At which point I could usually pry the two sides apart.

wxcoin and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Wow. Thats alot. Yeah they won't fit in the coin star with all thAT plastic

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Use one of the smaller eyeglass screwdrivers, then once it starts a very small opening go to the next larger size screwdriver, and then the next one until you can slide the screwdriver across the slab. From there, it's easy to open.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It really depends on what year the proof set is. For example vice grips or pliers are not of much use on say a 1963 set. An exacto knife will work much better on those. Pliers or vice grips could work real well on say a 1969 set. You can still get it open with an exacto knife but it will be a lot more difficult and you could injure yourself. Post 1998 sets open easily with the exacto knife because they are not sealed and are just snapped closed. Easy to work the knife into the joint and then you can just open it with your fingers.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

What a fun read. Now I know what to do if and when I want open any of my proof sets.

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

I ruined a fleabay seller for replacing coins and selling cracked open sets as original, he stopped his short-term numismatic adventure.

Draft saved Draft deleted