What is the best USB Microscope to purchase for taking pictures of coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fred13, Feb 18, 2012.

1. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I spent less than $50 and I can take pretty good close-ups with a loupe attached.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here are 2 examples of mine. I don't want to get into mine is better than yours types of comparisons, as the level one is Ok with will vary. I would prefer a nice digital 18 mp SLR with an excellent macro, but, I have other hobbies to spend on also, so this is my level.Since my area is varieties, here are 2 that I could not show for verification with a lesser instrument. Again no disrespect to what anyone is using, a loupe near a camera lens is better than no loupe.

1956 D/D wide spaced, FS-01-1956D-501

[​IMG]

and 1955 S/S/S FS-01-1955S-501

[​IMG]

Jim

dwhiz and Andrew Snovell like this.
  4. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying mine was better than yours. I merely pointed out that you don't have to spend a lot to get good macro pictures. I actually taped the loupe to the lens of the camera....it works. If you read my above post I explained it. As I said before, the aiptek camera I use has a macro setting but it's pretty much useless, but when I attach a 10x loupe and use the camera's 4x zoom I get a really good macro. :)

Edit: Yes, I'd rather have a high megapixel camera with an excellent macro too, but I can't afford it right now.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I use a Dino-Lite w/ MS35B Stand, check out this photo of 2012 Moose same size as a silver dollar moose 2012.jpg moose 2012 a.jpg
    Then I use Photo Scape for reflection and inscription, no other inhancements used.
    Before on left

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Jim 100%, and if you're into varieties and errors, it is almost impossible to provide quality close-ups without quality equipment. "The proof is in the pudding!" How often have we seen people posting photos here that were so bad, yet they expect us to be able to tell them if their coin is an error or variety. At best, we can only guess.

But, the gist of the OP's opening post was that he wanted to get a microscope to take full coin photos which just can't be done for any coin except the smallest like the cent or dime. While you don't need to spend thousands of dollars for professional-grade cameras, lenses, lighting, etc. there are some basics that are almost a necessity, a decent camera with a macro function, a copy stand (or at least a tripod) for clear photos and decent lighting instead of a windowsill or nightlight.

Chris

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

But, the gist of the OP's opening post was that he wanted to get a microscope to take full coin photos which just can't be done for any coin except the smallest like the cent or dime.

Uhmm,
    I guess my Half and Quarter pics in post #13 are in my imagination or I have a USB Microscope that is better than anyone else`s ;)

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I've never like the pics from the USB microscopes (at least the ones that have been posted here) because of the false color and glare.
    This is what I've used with good results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Endeavor likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You said it yourself that the quality is not as good.

Chris

10. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

I know this post is old but can you advise what you were using to get the above images. I am in the market for a microscope. Thanks~

11. Andrew Snovell

What is it you are using for these pictures?

12. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

I have the Celestron Pro 5mp. I had to cut a 1ft wooden dowel rod to replace the rod that come with it. I have been very happy with it for the price ($89.00) on Amazon. The led lights are dimmable.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  13. Andrew Snovell

14. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Trinocular Stereo Microscope

Best all around. You have it all with this one. Stereo, wide range of zoom, third eyepiece for USB or Digital camera mount. The best.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  15. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Handh...=1453959875&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+endoscope

All metal construction, will adjust from a VERY close microscope to a wide enough field of view to capture any coin. Has some cool attachments like a surface cup that lets you place it on any flat surface and get steady shots, and a 90 degree mirror to see into blind spots (inspect your fillings if you like!). The snapshot button is in the cord not a part of the unit so shake free shots are no problem. Fully adjustable LED lights When focused to infinity it will even work as a webcam.

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's more than it would cost to set up a pro-level dSLR rig with far more than just microscopic abilities. :)

17. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are referring to with "more than" but a dslr rig cannot compete with a microscope in "microscopic abilities".

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

A bit unorthodox and going off on a tangent... Maybe get a watchmaker's loupe like this fella, and stick it on your camera. Never tried it though... but that way you stick with a camera that you may already have, or upgrade your camera to a better one that you can use for many more applications while also having a separate loupe. Though, you can probably use a camera by itself with different lens kits.

If you're also considering a loupe, a watchmaker's loupe is superb.

[​IMG]

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I had a nice unit in the past that had a rack/pinion for a significant range adjustment. It had a large stable base which allowed substantial stability, which is often the reason for good photos, along with proper lighting, and focus capability. The limiting factor was the integral illumination capability. My software was eventually destroyed and couldn't be replaced, eliminating camera use. I have an adjustable stand for a very variable camera with a macro lens and multiple adjustable filter lamps.

I also have been searching for a USB replacement camera with the features in my original camera, having editing software, and a variable light source.

I'm certain someone here must know of the aforementioned, but I've yet to locate same, regardless of price.

Assistance would be appreciated.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I use a Nikon Plan 4 microscope objective with my dSLR which is of equal quality (and potential magnification) to the optics in the best stereoscopes. Then if I want I can switch that for a duplicating lens as good as any dedicated Macro lens for full-coin images. I have less than $50 total invested in both together.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted