What is the best US Era for Coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by justndav76, Aug 25, 2009.

1. justndav76

justndav76 Member

What do folks here consider to be the prime years of US Coinage... when we were at the top design wise, production wise, and now value wise? Seems to me the peak era of US Coinage is about from 1883-1923. The designs were beautiful, mintages kept at a decent number relative to the population of the times, and some real valueable coins in that 40 year period as well.

I know this may spark some real heated discussion and opinions, Im certainly interested in hearing what others think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

i think that is more of a personal opinion i like the early 1900s to the mid 1900s

4. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I'll narrow it a little further to 1909-1916. Covers all of the Matte Proof Lincolns, the end of the New Orleans Mint (1909), IHC to Lincoln design change (1909), Liberty Nickel to Buffalo design change (1913), the end of the Barbers and the introduction of the Merc Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter and the Walking Liberty Half (1916) and the gold during that period was just awesome w/ the incuse Indian designs, the $10 Eagle with the stars on the rim and of course the $20 Saint Gaudens :)

robec and Dougmeister like this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Dougmeister likes this.
  6. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I believe it started around 1916. Standing Liberty Quarters, Mercury Dimes, Walking Liberty Halves, Morgan Dollars in 1921 plus Peace Dollars starting in 1921, not to mention the gold coins around back then such as the Saint Gaudens Double Eagles.

Dougmeister likes this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Thanks to Teddy Roosevelt, Augustus St. Gaudens, Adolph Weinman 1916 would be the prime year for beauty on American coinage.

Also love those draped bust coins from ca. 1796.

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I agree with scottishmoney on 1796.

Hands down IMHO.

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Easy pre-1836. Of course the designs being beautiful is a matter of opinion.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

"What is the best US Era for Coins?"

The one YOU like the best. :)

Personally, I like coins from two time periods the most -- the very early coins (of the 1790s) and the coins from the first half of the 20th century (SLQs, St. Gaudens, Peace Dollars, Buffalo Nickels, and Mercury Dimes).

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Just one more of those in my opinion types of stories. I've heard some say they really like the Presidents on coins so much better than vague or unknown people or ladies on our coins. Then too, some say any coin without a president on them. Some are still offended by Indians on our coins and I knew an Indian that thought all our coins should have Indians on them.
    This is sort of like saying what cars are the best.
    Me, I like all coins the same.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Then a compromise, coins with Indian women and not men!:D

13. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

For me, 1913-1917. 1913 was the only year of the Type 1 Buffalo's. For sheer American beauty, it's been downhill ever since. But I have to extend it until 1917 when Walkers at the branch mints had mintmarks on the obverse and then the reverse (not to mention the two types of SLQ's).

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

IMO, 1914 was one of the coolest years for coins and Federal Reserve notes. The Lincoln cent was just getting started. Buffalo nickels were just getting started. The Barber series was nearing it's end. You still had $2.5 and $5 gold, incuse, indians. Still had $10 gold indians around. Of course the St. Gaudens $20. The series of 1914 Fed. reserve notes were some of the coolest we ever had. The backs were really interesting. Andrew Jackson was on the $10 bill. Grover Cleveland was on the $20 bill.

15. Art

Art Numismatist?

I'd have to agree with the early 20th Century. Indian Head Cents, Lincolns, Buffalos, Mercs, etc. Along the same line the late 1950's had to be one of the premo times to be a collector. Think of all the great coins still in circulation. You could even get Morgan and Peace dollars from the banks at face. A terrific time.

16. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

I'd say everything before we started puting presidents on the coinage. I am a big supporter of putting ideal fictional images of Liberty on the Obverses.

Ag76 likes this.
  17. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Anything and Everything prior to Clad Coinage...

18. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

Keycoins has it exactly right, It's a personal opinion thing that will change as the years pass. Right now for me it is 1971-1978 (Eisenhowers) before that it was1878-1904and 1921 (Morgans) and I am sure it will change again before it is all over with.

19. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

I think that it varies from person to person based on what coins you grew up with, how much you were exposedto certain coins and the availabilty. An 80 year old may have different tastes than your average 20 year old. Personally I like the designs from 1870's to 1920

20. PennyLame07

PennyLame07 New Member

You sure got that right

Draft saved Draft deleted