What is the best Coin Album as far as quality?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by acsf89, Sep 23, 2010.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Sure, first off, wear gloves.. cotton or latex (powder free).

If you are inserting a coin into the album: Make sure the other coins that are under that slide are low enough so the top slide does not rub on them. I can tell just by looking if any aren't pushed in far enough. If you can't tell, flip the page over and look at the reverses. You shouldn't see any large gaps between the reverse and the edge of the cardboard.

If the coins are inserted properly, both slides can slide without rubbing.

With danscos, there is some 'play' with the 'leatherette' material. That material actually lifts off of the cardboard backing a little, to help with not rubbing. This is important when returning the slide back in. One trick I do is curve the plastic a little bit (like a half moon, but not so extreme) this really helps when sliding the plastic back in.

When removing or insterting a slide, just be wary of any debris (like the cardboard dusties someone mentioned) and NEVER force it. If you feel any drag or resistance, then you need to adjust a coin or 2. BE PATIENT!

It can get frustrating when you are trying to put a slide back in, and it gets stuck on a coin. Just take your time!

If you are aware, patient and take it slowly, you should never scratch a coin. And like i mentioned before, you really gotta drag that baby across a coin to scratch it.

Another lesson learned... When removing coins, be sure to place something on top of the next page in the dansco. A tshirt, or cardboard.. You can damage a coin on the second page (through the plastic) when a coin from the first page gets pushed out to hard and hits the other page.

One more thing, when putting the back slide back in, after removing a coin. Sometimes it is easier to remove most of the coins if they are slipping and stopping the slide from sliding in. This usually happens if the hole has become a little loose from changing of the coin multiple times. Instead of trying to just adjust each coin every time the slide stops.

Hope this makes sense.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I like the Dansco albums best :)

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh, and to your original question... I can't say which albums are better. I use Danscos for my uncirculated stuff, and I use "the coin collector" series for my secondary albums. They are like 8 bucks and make a fantastic album for your duplicates or circulated series.

5. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

Anyone know what type of snap this is? I was thinking of using these in an intercept for my best of the best..

I did manage to fit one into a hole. definitly negates the need for the slides.

I want these!!!!! What, where are they?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. EyeEatWheaties

I should add that the plastic is much much much , did I say much? much more resistant to scratching, than the air-tites, Air Tite, PCGS, NGC, or ANACS slabs..

Unbelievable... HELP!!!!! I want!

[​IMG]

7. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I use Danscos.

Personally I don't like the slides.
    I would love to see Dansco (or anyone) make their album with some sort of capsule embedded directly into the page.
    Just pop the removable side off the capsule in that hole, drop in the coin, and then seal the capsule back up.
    Kinda like the capsules mint commems and ASE proofs come in. Embed the larger side in the page itself, have the insert side removable so you can load the coin.
    No slides, no disturbing several coins to load one, more air tight, etc...

8. mpcusa

I agree anything moving like a slide could scratch the coin if there is something abrasive on it
    Having a fixed capsule makes allot of sense! :)

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Wow, those are cool!
    Just what should be in the albums instead of slides!
    If money was no object, you could just measure the capsule and order blank album pages in that size.
    Dansco sells generic pages by opening diameter in millimeters...

10. mpcusa

11. Marauderrt10

Marauderrt10 Toners rule******

Wayte Raymonds are the best IMO

12. EyeEatWheaties

for silver after about 10 years stored next to the pulp mill in georgia! for sure!

13. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

I trust Littleton, their albums/folders are made in the US and have been proven to be entirely made of archival materials (from the glue that holds the paper together to the cover of the albums). I personally like folders better because for albums, its always such a hassle to get the coin in the right position where as in folders you just stick them in (a con is that you can only see the obverse). I don't really care if I touch the coins with my hands or not as I am currently build my sets from coins found in circulations. The only time where I would use extra caution is when I'm dealing with a really nice coin found in circ. or a coin I paid for.

14. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Could they be "Kointain Shells"?
    All the capsules I could find have a minimum of 6mm additional diameter over the coin diameter.
    The only ones that are 'tight' fitting are Kointains... that I have found so far.
    They were developed by a chemical engineer at a plastics company, that happened to also be a numismatist...
    They are inert, air tight, and only touch the sides of the coin... The front and back are slightly convex to keep off the coin surface.

15. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

All of which is true of Dansco...

16. EyeEatWheaties

Thanks for the lead! I don't think the one I have is the same, it's not convex, might it might suffice. I am going to order a package.

17. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Wayte Raymonds
    haha, I like them over time.

18. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Intercept Shield for super special coins.

Dansco for that raw set to fill the folder. :)

Think I'll get an Intercept for my AU+ Peace set. :) :D

19. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

20. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I have done something similar to what you are suggesting.
    Some time ago, GDJMSP convinced me that the only safe way to store coins is in plastic capsules. But capsules can be a pain to store and display and the albums made by AirTite to hold capsules are not very nice. I also like having them in albums.

I got the idea from another CoinTalk member that Type A capsules fit well into Dansco half-dollar pages. Type A capsules fit Lincoln Cents, small dollars and quarters. Here's a sample of what I've done with my presidential dollars.

20-coin set in Dansco page-sml.jpg

I used clear stick-on labels. The capsules are thicker than the album pages, but they still work well. It's a good idea to put something between the pages to prevent scratching.

View attachment 105205

21. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Sweet!
    I think an album company could refine that into something very nice.
    I like the albums... the look, the texture, the added depth over and above a clear page or 2x2s.
    They could thin them out a bit and set up their pages to function this way...
    Probably pay through the nose though.

Draft saved Draft deleted