What is the best Coin Album as far as quality?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by acsf89, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Derekg

Derekg Member

I got mine in dansco aswell some just in folders they sell in hobby lobby.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

wow majority rules...dansco it is...
    as for the key dates in the series
    I dont plan on putting them in the albums
    since Ill be purchasing slabbed key dates
    more convenient/authentic/and most of all
    key dates slabbed coins carry a higher premium...

thanks for the awesome advice from everyone in this post
    -acsf89

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

My key's are slabbed too and stay that way.
    I like knowing they are real.

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'd rather you show us :D
    Got a pic?

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Wish I still did. I destroyed the evidence in a fit of anger. :(

It was an album full of silver Roosies. One of the pages had real bad cardboard dust. Left the coins in the album for about two years, and the next time I checked, about half of the coins in that page had spotted.

Luckily they were not expensive coins (low grade MS & AU coins) -- but it was a tough lesson to learn regardless.

7. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

I like Eagle. I can fit a variety of different holders into the pages.

[​IMG]

8. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

oooh...that looks nice WashQuartJesse....
    and @ Duke Kavanaugh I too feel the same way...
    I dont like getting ripped off and slabbed pcgs or ngc
    is the only ones for me....pcgs for pre-1964
    and ngc for 1965 to present..

hmmm...im still kind of torn...I just want what's best
    for my raw coins...I want to invest in something
    that will not tarnish/cause spotting/and cause album scratches...

so is dansco the album for it?

9. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Make sure you get some silica packets.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No. For what you want you need to go with Intercept Shield.

11. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

what do silica packets do?

and @GDJMSP I did check the intercept shield website and
    they dont carry the barber half dollar albums...=(

12. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

I do apologize for asking too much questions,
    I just want to be a safe collector....

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then this is what you want - http://www.interceptshield.com/holders.html - and put 'em in the Eagle set up.

And you ask all the questions you want ;)

14. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

Lots of Dansco peeps here. I got sold on Intercept for my best grades however I am thinking about changing over to air tite and their albums. The slides on my albums are fingerprinted and sctratched from sliding in and out and then there is the glare from the plastic and shadows from the inset depth which brings me to a question.

Which is the better holder and insert Air-Tite or AirTite?

Are they both the same just differnt price?

I know of those touts as being original and Made in America and all of that. I was just wondering if they are indeed the same?

which one closes tighter?

has better inert inserts?.

Has anyone ever glued or sealed these holders by some other means?

What do you use?

Super glue?

Soldering iron and just spot weld?

15. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

One issue concerning coin albums is the coins included in the albums. For instance, Dansco does not include the two Mercury dime 1942 overdates, while Whitman albums do.

16. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

I'm putting together a set of Mercury dimes in about MS 63-64 (non-full bands) and I was planning to store them in an Intercept Shield Album once I had all of the coins so I would only be sliding the platic sheets over the coins one time. Is that really enough to damage the surfaces significantly? I could imagine if you were exposing the coins to sliding plastic covers repeatedly that would be a problem. It seems counterintuitive that a coin could go through the manufacturing process, sit in a box somerwhere for 60 years and then be damaged by a soft plastic sheet.

I like the intercept shield concept because of the protection from corrosion and other chemical reactions. It seems even if you're storing the coins in flips, 2x2s, or slabs you would still have to worry about atmospheric chemicals. Any thoughts?

-Greg

17. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I have a Littleton album for my Franklins. I bought it because they didn't have a Dansco. The guy said Littleton was just as good. If you don't turn the pages just right, it pops open.

18. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It's frustrating to hear people say that using an album is bad for the coin or is a bad choice. :headbang: Just be careful putting in the coins, wear gloves, and make sure they are seated properly so the plastic slides out easy. Of course there is always a risk in scratching a coin, but there has to be some debris, or some serious rubbing for a soft piece of plastic to scratch a metal coin. ...hello?

We can't all afford to slab coins or have coins worth millions of dollars and have to worry that the plastic scratched it and just dropped it a grade, and now my kids can't go to college.

I love albums. It is a lot easier to view or show off your coins. They look nice, they sit well on a bookshelf, etc.. So don't be put off by people speaking negatively about Danscos. Therefore we shouldn't worry ourselves over these comments.

Millions of collectors can't be wrong.

"well put them in 2x2's" ... Really? 'cause that looks awesome! In a binder just like the kids use at school. No thanks. Then you will hear... ohhh watch out for the staples, in 500 years the metal will react with the paper and your coin will explode.

"Just keep them in original packaging" - really? All collectors should buy everything in original packaging! Wrong, I'm not Bill Gates. And lets have a huge box full of mint and proof sets that we keep in the closet. - exciting!

"Get them slabbed" - Ok, ill go ahead and get state quarters, roosevelt dimes, Jeff's... get em all slabbed! Sure, now I spent $4000 to protect my $400 in coins. Not to mention, thats a real space saver.

-sigh

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I bought a Dansco album once and on a few of the "lines" of coins all of the coins had scratch marks in the direction of the plastic slides. Doug is correct that it can happen, depending on the plastic strip placement, the depth of the hole, and how often and ho carefully you opened the slide. I would always make sure the book is flat, I tapped on the line to be opened, and carefully opened it. I uses clamshells in flips placed in pages for better coins to look at.

The only atmospheric chemicals to worry about would tone your coins. Corrosion is not a concern usually unless you touch them. Modern coins can be damaged by oil in your fingers if left long term. I like ancients, not much you can do to harm them, so I can get my hands as dirty as I like! :)

20. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

gbroke,

Thanks for the perspective. Any comments on tips or tricks in placing the coins in the album to reduce risk of damage?

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Hmmm, they sure were in the last few years with housing, no?

Lol, point taken Gbroke, albums are very convenient. I would simply suggest they lay them flat, and are careful every time they open and close to make sure they protect their investment.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted