What is "remainder" banknote?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Sigurjon Gudmundsson, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Can anyone tell me what "remainder" banknote is and are they worth anything ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Typically a remainder is the term used for unsigned, non issued obsolete bank notes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My understanding is their value is more once signed,numbered, and issued.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

From my understanding, Steve is correct. The signatures, numbers and dates can make a bill that almost worthless skyrocket in price. :)

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Let's not be so glib about value.

While a remainder of a particular note may be more common than an issued example of the same note, that does not mean that all remainders are "near worthless". Some notes only exist today as remainders and those remainders can carry pretty stiff prices if the note is uncommon.

6. ok, thank you all for your time. I got my answer :)

7. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

The most common remainder note is scarcer than a 1909SVD cent, 16d dime, 32d or s quarter...interest has come into to this area and prices have risen dramatically.. see EBay..but are still nowhere near the values for coins. Interest is increasing sharply and, ironically, many of the remainders have been sent to grading services and, as a result, common note have price tags much higher than low-grade notes that are much, much rarer..

Draft saved Draft deleted