What is my coin worth

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 29, 2004.

1. junior

junior New Member

What if u have a undiscovered error how will u value it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to get some opinions on it. A good place to start is to post a thread in the Error section of this forum. Post with clear pictures and description of the error you may have found.

Welcome to the forum !

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wow, a piece of history, gotta read through this one.

5. bullionkid

bullionkid New Member

If the picture of coin is shown then it will more easy to determine it.

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I think this was implied when "Post with clear pictures ..." was stated in post #62.

7. The easy way to find the value of the coin is to search on ebay auction and add to watch list until the auction is ending.

8. STU

STU Active Member

does anybody know if they made any brass 1988 Lincoln pennies I found one in a roll I got is this considered an error

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There is some evidence that plating errors in the mint produced some brass colored cents, but how to prove a certain brass colored cent was made in the mint process? Anyone, and thousands of students do this experiment every year, one can change the color from copper to 'silver' actually zinc color to brass ( a gold color). A few then keep the result, and others spend it to end up in change or rolls. Since the '88 is a zinc core with a copper shell cent, a person could make hundreds of them if there was a premium. Photos would help. but see this url.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/a/goldsilverpenny.htm

10. Joseph Constantino

Joseph Constantino New Member

im new to the coin collecting, but ive stumbled across a few odd things and found a few coins i still would like to check on. any help would be greatly appreciated. The image of this quarter shows what appears to be 3 numbers on a 1977 quater with no mint mark. anyone have any input for me? thank you

20141224_005612.jpg

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The pic is a little fuzzy, but those marks between GW's nose and the rim, even if they are numbers, are some form of "post mint damage" which don't affect the value, but might be interesting from a "what the heck is this?" perspective.

Joseph Constantino likes this.
  12. Joseph Constantino

Joseph Constantino New Member

Thank you for your help its greatly appreciated. Like I said im new to this and a lot of things amaze me lol. I even stumbled across a buffalo nickel when I first started. A lot of my coins aren't really worth anything, but I still like all the odd stuff

13. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

First, did you find out the value? If it isn't worth that much then I would. Or let it sit in olive oil. It doesn't hurt the coin and is a natural coating and barrier.

That's just me though. What's the point of having a coin if you can't beautify both the obverse and reverse?

She told me it was either her or the coins. I still have my coins.

LaneyTex1 likes this.
  14. LaneyTex1

LaneyTex1 Member

Thank you so much for this information. this is the first time in over 2 years that I actually can understand how and why your photos are so good. I've asked and asked how to do it and you are the first person to explain it in layman's terms.

15. dee004

dee004 New Member

ebay 082.jpg ebay 084.jpg ebay 085.jpg ebay 091.jpg ebay 093.jpg Can anyone help me with this coin my daughter found at the restaurant she hostesses at?Shes in her 2nd. semester in college and asked me to sell it. thank

Dilly dollar likes this.
  16. dee004

dee004 New Member

Thanks that is. I have many coins,medal detecting..hence pic. of ring..and I've loved this informative site for few years. this is my first time posting.

17. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

That quarter was stuck in a washer or dryer most likely. It is post mint damage and worth only a quarter. A quarter struck without a collar would also have no feeding, but would be slightly larger in diameter than a normal quarter.

18. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Last post, feeding should be Reeding. Pesky auto correct.

19. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

To me it looks thicker than normal. That might just be me though.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The idea is that the edge has been beaten down by tumbling in a dryer. Some people do this deliberately and make rings out of coins by widening the edge and then cutting out the center. Look it up, there are several interesting videos.

Dilly dollar likes this.
  21. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

Ohhhhh yeah. Dryer damage makes sense

Draft saved Draft deleted