What is my coin worth

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 29, 2004.

1. andyluw12

andyluw12 New Member

Welcome to CT moosb8-what you have there is a greased filled die, sorry to break it to you but that's an extremely common problem not an error. There are some links in a "sticky note" under the error section to explain how coins are made, what errors are and how they happen, and what are normal issues that come up during and after the minting process. Good luck in your search, there are a lot of great coins out there!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. moosb8

moosb8 New Member

Thank you andyluw12:

I am learning as I go along I appreciate the assistance.
    frank

cnew22 likes this.
  4. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Maybe about 2 or 3 cents for the copper. Find a pound of them (135 pennies) to = $4.

Welcome to CT!

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is incorrect. The price for Grade A copper (unalloyed) is about $3.28/lb. However, for alloyed copper such as Lincoln cents, smelters will only pay about 25% of that price. So, the copper in those Lincoln's is worth about 40% less than face value.

Chris

6. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

This is in the wrong section...

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Look at the date when that was posted. Back then, the What's It Worth section didn't even exist.

8. andyluw12

andyluw12 New Member

Your welcome-we ALL had to start somewhere ;) If you haven't already done so, pick up a Red Book and join some free sites such as NGC and PCGS photo grader...ebay isn't the best place to learn or buy until you know more, because things can be >gasp< incorrectly attributed, graded, or outright misleading. You're on the right track by asking questions from people who won't lead you astray!

9. RaeNae

RaeNae New Member

Hi, I think that maybe I just found a 1992 Close AM Pennie...If anyone could voice their opinion I would very much appreciate it. I wil try to post a pic..New at this... 1992 Pic 1.jpg 1992 Pic 2.jpg

Kentucky likes this.
  10. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Pictures are too small to see anything.

11. RaeNae

RaeNae New Member

Do you have any sugguestion for enlarging it so that you can see it? I have taken pictures and scanned it. Like pixel etc... I'm not used to taking pitures of coins...

12. BUncirculated

Use a digital camera, 10x loupe, and place the loupe directly on the camera lens, and adjust your distance to the coin until you have a clear focus, then shoot the pic.

42_Merc_obv3.jpg 42_Merc_rev1.jpg

That's how I did these pics.

LaneyTex1 likes this.
  13. RaeNae

RaeNae New Member

Sorry it took me so long...Ended up having computer problems too...Your coins look great!! Here are the pictures that I took..Better but I think that I need to get a larger 10x loupe..I had the hardest time...lol DSC03226.jpg DSC03220.jpg

14. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

looks like a normal wide AM to me.

15. RaeNae

RaeNae New Member

Yeh, I thought so too..:( Got some good experience in taking pictures though..:)

16. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i know this is an old thread, but the thread popped up in the recent threads for me. this statement, as posted many years ago, is ONLY accurate to usa coins (both back then, and today). ancients have a different scale at NGC, a reputable tpg. just stating a disclaimer for any future reference.

17. BUncirculated

Takes a bit of practice, but you'll get it.

As Cazka pointed out, yours is the normal wide AM.

18. riverratac

riverratac david stanley

gold colored cents and halfs

thanks

19. Tiger74

Tiger74 New Member

Hi all! very new guy here. I have a 1999 penny with a number 6 under the date I wish to post for some your consideration. Dropped date penny.jpg Dropped date penny-1.jpg Dropped date penny-2.jpg Dropped date penny-3.jpg Dropped date penny-4.jpg

20. Tiger74

Tiger74 New Member

I know it's really rough looking but any info would be great. I couldn't find any other examples in my online search. I have tons of questions about other things i found also. Oh and I just got this great usb microscope which is why there are so many pictures!:D

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

This thread is over 8 years old. You might want to start a new thread in the"What's It Worth" forum. It may get some attention there.

Draft saved Draft deleted