What is my coin worth

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 29, 2004.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Coins should always be left alone. The only time that anyone should attempt to clean them, with anything, is when doing so will prevent further damage such as with PVC contamination or verdigris.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

thanx for the advice, so the only time to clean a coin is when something is pretty much eating holes into it

4. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

you got it. Or if its got some sorta gunk on it. The only way i have ever cleaned coins that i have had to, was to let them sit in hot water with a little dish soap for a night. Then rinse it off with worm not hot water. Then take a clean towel and just put in in the towel and plress lightly. MAKE SRE IF YOU USE A TOWL IT VERY SOFT AND CLEAN. Only press once at to let water be soaked up. And that the only true way to safly clean a con if you ask me, And NO your not going to get a full lster. lol you just removing oils.

5. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

OLD SCHOOL.

MatthewT likes this.
  6. poppy88

poppy88 New Member

where do you find these grading services

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

8. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Way, way back to the original question. What is a coin worth? In reality all coins are only worth what the face value on them states. Anything over that is purely dependant on who and how many want that coin. If no one wants a certain coin for more than face value, it does not matter how many guides, books, pamphlets, etc. say it is worth so much. You could have a coin that everyone says is worth a hundred dollars but if no one will give you a hundred dollars for it, then it is only worth what someone will pay for it. To really find out what a coin is worth today, probably the best thing to do is look at ebay or other coin selling web sites. There you would see what a coin is actually selling for. But again, if you tried to sell a similar coin for a price you saw on ebay and no one wants it, then it is only worth what you can sell it for.
    This is my pessimistic attitude and in no way should be interpreted as reality.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Do you have any pics that would be helpful!

10. Bestinthewest

Bestinthewest Super Geek

no the franklin half and ike dollar werent even made in the same decades and the franklin is silver the ike dollar is cupro nickel clad and they are very differennt sizes one side will either have partial designs or alot of blank planchet

11. renee75

renee75 Junior Member

Can anyone tell me about this coin?

I found several online that were just like this but had the USS Arizona on the front. I have not been able to find one like this one. Not sure about he correct term, coin/medallion/medal.

thanks!

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      248.9 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      247.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Lincoln Memorial cents from 1981 and before are all copper. Ones 1983 and later are copper plated zinc. In 1982 only there were both, the copper ones weighing 3.11 grams and the zinc ones 2.5 grams

13. 1943wheatpenny

1943wheatpenny New Member

Most likely it is not a coin but some of those things go for a bit do a bit of research on stuff like that.(medals/medallions) :)

14. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The USS San Francisco was one of the largest naval vessels in Pearl Harbor to emerge unscathed from the surprise attack on December 7, 1941. Her armament was essentially useless as she was in the process of receiving an overhaul.

The medal is one of a series produced by the USS Arizona Museum Foundation, which operates the Pearl Harbor Memorial which incorporates the sunken Arizona. The medals were being sold in the gift shop at the Memorial last time I visited there in the late '90s.

15. digger1234

digger1234 New Member

Question if I may.I have a penny with two heads on the front of it do you know what it's called or how much it's worth?It has Licon and than Kenndy right next to him please give me as much info as possible.

digger1234

16. digger1234

digger1234 New Member

please go to page 3 to see my question for you.

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The value of any coin is determined by one thing, and only one thing, and that one thing is: How much is someone willing to pay for the coin?.
    Nothing else matters.

MatthewT likes this.
  18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Novelty item, no numismatic value (it's amazing how this nearly seven year old thread keeps getting resurrected):

[​IMG]

19. I have a 195 and the last date number is almost gone but looks like it was a 1.You can see a almost like double die ring cut into the coin and from the best i can tell the date number broke as it was stamping the coin.My question is will it be worth anything more than its face value.Its a nice coin not really worn a lot and is clear and readable.

20. Its a wheat cent sorry.

21. moosb8

moosb8 New Member

I'm new at this

Greetings all:
    My first time posting. I recently opened a roll of 1968s pennies that I obtained in a grab bag. The coins are all BU. About 12 or so appear to be struck "heavy?" on the obverse , so much that it flattened out "ST" in States and the "E" from E pluribus on the reverse. Attached are scans and the best photo my webcam would take. In the scans of the reverse you can see the outline of Lincolns head. I have never noticed anything like this before, then again I never really looked until now. My question is should I have them graded or is this a common problem?
    Thanks in advance

Frank

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted