What is going on with this saint?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mill rat41, Aug 29, 2010.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I won this Saint at the Boston Heritage auction. What is this "crud" on the coin? When viewed head on it completely disappears. When viewed at an angle this stuff is covers a good deal of the coin.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Accordian

Accordian New Member

if you look close, it looks like the eagle has a joint in his mouth.. the "crud" is just smoke from that J.. Did Cheech or Chong own that before you?

4. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Ha ha, yeah. I reckon the eagle is flying high.

5. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

I think it's PVC damage? Not sure though.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That would be my guess. Think I'd send it in to PCGS under their guarantee.

7. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

PVC would also be my guess

8. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I"m curious, you stated you won the coin on the Heritage Auction site. How was the coin described ? Any mention of the " Damage " ? Unless it was noted, you should qualify for a return through Heritage. Quickly!!

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm thinking the coin was puttied to hide marks and the putty has oxidized and is now visible. This is why PCGS is nvolved n the lawsuit against the coin doctors. They caught some of the puttied coins in the past but not all of them. Now that the putty has been becomming visible PCGS has been on the hook for buying them under their grade guarantee.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That appears to be putty -- I have a puttied coin with a very similar appearance. I would try and return the coin or send it to PCGS for grade/appearance review....Mike

11. GDJMSP

If that's putty it would be the heaviest concentration I have ever seen on a coin, and in areas where I have never seen it. I doubt it could have ever gotten by the graders.

But who knows ????

12. Leadfoot

It doesn't look like that when fresh. In the example I have (in an OGH) the putty was invisible when I purchased it, and it covers more of the coin than this example. Over time, the putty became visible just like the OP describes -- under low-angle light. That was the giveaway to me versus PVC, as PVC is visible at any angle in my experience.

That said, it does seem odd that it's only on the reverse. I would expect it to have been used on the obverse (unless there was something particularly problematic on the reverse like hairlines).

13. coinman0456

If that was a "puttied" coin, that sure must have been one hell of a mess, and I don't think that would have escaped Heritage. All the buyer needs to do, is simply return it to heritage, and quickly I might add. Determining the nature of what happened is secondary, to receiving a refund if the coin was not stated it was improperly restored . yes/no ?

14. GDJMSP

I know Mike, but usually putty is applied in just the affected areas like a hit, hairline or scratch in very small quantities. On that coin they would have had to literally spread the putty on with a puttyknife covering the entire bottom half of the coin. That just isn't done. And it isn't done because anbody but a blind man could see it if they did.

PVC on the other hand, if it is not removed completely, sometimes leaves a residue that cannot be seen looking straight on at it but can be seen at an angle. And it is rarely ever visible at any angle when it is freshly done.

I dunno - just seems like that is a more likely scenario than somebody smearing putty over half the coin.

15. coinman0456

The coin does not appear from the photo to be in a PCGS holder. Who did you say Authenticated this coin ?

16. GDJMSP

Hmmmm - maybe not, but it looks like one to me.

17. coinman0456

It would be nice if the OP didn't go on vacation after dumping this into CT.:D

18. Leadfoot

I hope you're right!

All I know is that putty is only visible at an angle and it is over more than 50% of the obverse of my coin (apparently trying to hide hairlines), and it was good enough to get by PCGS, the dealer who sold it to me (who is no wannabe), and my eyes when I bought it in 2005. The putty was first noticed in 2008 when I sent it to the dealer to be submitted to CAC, and CAC also confirmed it as putty. Here is the coin:

[​IMG]

Regardless, if I were the OP I would first seek to return it to Heritage and barring that to PCGS (the thought being Heritage should refund the entire selling price, and PCGS may not).

19. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Common date $20s are not bringing much at low grade levels these days. If the coin could be run through NCS and could then get a decent MS grade the process may be cost-effective. Heritage buyers would probably offer $1250 to $1300 for such problem coins. Rarcoa and Spectrum are also active buyers.

20. coinman0456

While some of what you state may or may not be true, it is un-necessary to take that route. Back to the Auctioneer with the coin.

21. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Sorry for the delay. The coin is in a current style PCGS 65 holder. It isn't only on the reverse, it is over much of the coin. Heritage thought enough of the coin to actually describe it - instead of their usual "... price for a problem free MS 65 is ..." It was lot number 6370.

I bought the coin for the toning, if I send to PCGS for a grade review and they admit it isn't MS65 quality - do they send me another coin or pay me their "retail" price. I don't want a Saint sight unseen.

Draft saved Draft deleted