What is Going on with this MM? RPM?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, Oct 4, 2015.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

image.jpeg Took a closer look at the mm of the 1941 S nickel I bought the other day and I think I see some separation on the serifs. There is also some other funky stuff going on throughout the rest of the mintmark.
    Opinions, please and thank you.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

PS:
    I only have volume II of the the CPG so I couldn't check for rpms in that but I did check variety vista and saw there are several rpms for the 41 S but I didn't see any pictures.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I posted just yesterday a thread on mint marks of Jefferson nickels from 1938-1949 . With information on the 41 nickel. You can even go to varietyvista.com and search out mint mark styles and rpm's.
    The 1941 has two S varieties a large and small

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Never mind!

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, from the pictures it looks like you have an RPM. However, it looks very minor... Usually the examples chosen for the CPG are more significant than this. The split serif is an instant giveaway that this is genuine, but it is very minor.

I'm not an expert in the series, but my understanding is that RPMs are very common on early Jeffersons, for some reason.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I don't see the RPM

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Look at the bottom serif of the S. It is very minor, but it is split.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Did you compare it to the mint mark styles used during this year? It is a trumpet tail S but not an rpm. Die chips and pmd hit on the mm.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    coinzip likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted