What is going on with this Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cash4coin, Jan 10, 2015.

1. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

I was looking to purchase this cent but the photos made me reconsider. Either the cent is very well photographed and shows ALL the details or is it something else? centrev.JPG cent.JPG cent.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

All I see is a 1923 Lincoln Cent. Looks nice to me...?

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

XF-ish coin struck by later state dies and used in the real world.

5. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Thanks to good quality, cheap point-n-shoot cameras, I'd say it was just photo'd well. :)

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I see die deterioration looking at the metal flow. Also those hits on the breast and left field would make me stay away from this 1923 cent. And judging by the dirt around some of the lettering I would say it was cleaned also. Your choice though.

cash4coin and Markus1959 like this.
  7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yeah - I just see "metal flow" (lines) from a semi worn die having to labor to push the metal away from the devices (raised portions of the coin?)

cash4coin likes this.
  8. Markus1959

Although under 10x mag I haven't seen the flow lines that pronounced on copper pennies. Still not anything to jump up and down about.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The hits on the obverse kill it for me. You can find something better.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't collect Lincoln's, but I think XF is a stretch. The appearance of corrosion on the reverse leads me to believe that it has been cleaned. I'd pass unless you really need it and the price is right.

Chris

11. Markus1959

I hope I look that good when I'm 92 years old

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not likely to see it on the new zinc Lincolns, more likely to see plating bubbles and bursts, more likely to see it on pre-1982 95% copper cents.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Markus1959

Just a question - are the penny zinc plantchets struck then plated or are the zinc planchets plated and then struck - seems if they are thinly copper plated the zinc would show through in certain wear areas???

14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

The pictures are super tho

15. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

The photograper really has talent and a super good camera no doubt about that.

16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Struck then plated.

tommyc03 and Markus1959 like this.
  17. Markus1959

Thanks for the reply - learning something new everyday!!!!!

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

VF30, good dies and bad strike, the ear is its weakest link, IMO. But those distraction marks completely kills it. Not worth it.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unfortunately what you learned is wrong. The zinc is rolled into strips, the blanks are punched from it, the edges are upset, then they are plated (barrel plated in a rotating barrel which tumbles the planchets during the plating process). The last step is striking. That is why split plate "doubling" exists. Sometimes during the striking the metal movement exceeds the stretching ability of the copper plating and it splits open exposing the zinc.

l.cutler likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted