What is going on with surface of this 1930 Buffalo?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Oct 12, 2016.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Amen, brother. Want them? I'll take offers. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:facepalm::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: I'm so sorry.:blackeye:

:rolleyes: OK, OK...ENVISION THIS...Someone tried to remove a tiny black spot in the middle of the obverse with a file. When he saw how deep the spot went into the surface, he realize it was actually a struck thru! Unfortunately, he needed to file even deeper to remove it and the file marks on the coin. Now, the only way to "fix" his work was to put acid on the head to etch the surface. Oh no, the chemical started to run on untouched parts of the coin, ran over the edge and burned his fingers. :D

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Like a cleaning cloth soaked in nitric acid.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What does it weigh?
    Curious if it is 1/10 of a gram light. I realize that would still fall within
    the guidelines, but it would suggest that some metal was taken away.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Yes, struck-through cloth soaked in an unknown chemical (less likely) or perhaps something corrosive was stuck to the coin for a long time and later peeled off (most likely). Those are best explanations I can come up with.

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

My favorite theory I just came up with is a gentleman in 1930 was carrying the nickel in his pocket when one night an alien shot him with a powerful laser. The striations were caused by the laser light leaking through the corduroy pants he was wearing prior to being vaporized. The nickel being a hard metal survived the incident. :p:smuggrin:

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Plausible. :D

Insider likes this.
  9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I thought at least someone would suggest that this was a poorly mixed alloy that created a puddle of pure nickel. Let's say that puddle had a couple of outlying swirls. When rolled out flat there was a region of harder metal at the center and another at the lower edge. Since nickel is hard to strike (perhaps it was partially crystallized?) it did not flow properly and left deep striations instead of smooth luster. You could explain a consistent set of directional lines as coming from the direction of the impurities of the original planchet.

Just a thought, mostly because I'm having a hard time reconciling a chemical event that was harsh enough to cause damage like this, but that also left no other trace in the luster or toning.

10. chascat

It is obvious that possibly some of, but NOT all of these so called Expert observations, may be accurate, but I have very little faith in those who think their opinions are to be considered fact. Obviously, there is still some room for debate in this seemingly decisive think tank.

11. Insider

It is NOT a poorly mixed alloy. Now as to your "thought." Very carefully, drop some sulfuric acid on a BU Buffalo nickel and watch what happens. :arghh::bigtears:

12. Insider

You will find that some things in numismatics ARE fact. You will find that some members here are EXTREMELY knowledgeable numismatists.
    Over time, you will be able to separate them and their informed opinion (as I do) from the ones who think they are informed and spout misleading "trash."

Read Post#142. That is a perfect example of a "trash" opinion from me :bucktooth:, myself :bucktooth:, and I :bucktooth:.

The coin is chemically etched - 100%. No arguments, no further opinion is needed. Learn what it looks like for the next time one is posted and let the "Ex-Perts" continue to post fanciful theories. :smuggrin: :jawdrop:

13. chascat

Advice well noted!

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One thing I still don't get Insider, a few things actually. How does chemical etching create straight lines in the affected areas (for all intents and purposes anyway, not perfectly straight lines mind you), and how does chemical etching create scratches, and how does chemical etching form tapered edges where the affected areas meet unaffected areas instead of forming a shelf like transition that an acid would and should normally form ?

Those things right there are what led me away from the idea of acid etching to begin with.

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If I am reading Mike's response correctly, the "grain" is the result of milling the blank rolls.
    I don't see any scratches except outside the affected areas.
    I can surmise that as it reacted, it bubbled and spread.

Despite all that, I am still dumbfounded at how anything etched with acid could possible leave a shiny or lustrous surface behind.

16. Insider

Metal objects have internal structure (I'm sounding like a certain member here :yack::yack:). Oh, and this is just my opinion.

Metal objects (most?)have internal structure. Before becoming a coin the alloy is mixed, cooled, rolled, drawn. punched, annealed, and upset. Then it is struck into a coin. I believe all the processes above tend to align the internal atoms of the coin.

One thing for sure, I do know what strong acid does to a coins surface as I have destroyed a few as a youth. The surface is changed - often with a colored (yellow in this case) build up we see on the edge. Note: I was not 100% sure what happened to the coin (except for the "flow") UNTIL the OP posted a photo of the edge.

Anyway, the deep ridges you ask about are not normal. The surface around and on the feathers and edge is a solid characteristic of chemical alteration. So, my guess is that the chemical was first on the center (longer and more concentrated) and then ran outward allowing for deeper penetration that formed the deeper etch.

Ans as I said, I believe the "straight lines" on the coin were atomically in the metal. Note that ALL the etching is vertical. Now we can all wait for a metallurgist to post something.

There is a well-respected Indian cent numismatist (not Rick Snow) whose name escapes me (old age) who is a metallurgist who would probably answer your question better or more accurately.

EDIT: Chris Pillod There may be hope for my brain after all.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  17. Insider

The acid did not touch all of the coin. Also, the reflection of light from the striations and any toning on the destroyed portion would shine if the light is oriented properly. Think of those large groves as just humongous die radials. :D

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Doh!
    But it is shiny on all angle of the surface.
    HUH? What are die radials?

19. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

The more I hear, the more I like my theory. :)
    No way, I've only got three of them. :eek::eek:

But I kind of approach this with Occam's razor.

Everything I suggested are mechanical processes that would happen at the mint before the strike, allowing all surfaces to age and tone exactly the same for the ensuing 86 years.

It also explains how the effect could be present on the edges of the coin, since the puddle of bad metal would be pooled in one side of the ingot before rolling, and could not have been forced through the ingot to the other side no matter how many rollers it passed through. When struck, the poor metal would be at the surface of only one side of the coin.

I am still thinking this approach explains more of the visible phenomena with more economy of explanation.

chascat likes this.
  20. Insider

When some posters have NOTHING to contribute they can turn cranky and sarcastic. Why not write more on "D" punches...:D

Draft saved Draft deleted