What is going on with surface of this 1930 Buffalo?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As I read his answer, the surface of your coin did not get etched "at the Mint." The SBA Dollars did.

Your coin has PMD done by a caustic (not exactly the correct usage of this word :blackeye: but easy to understand) solution.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Extremely well said you silver tongue devil. Especially the point about the missing "F."

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

You're right, I miss-processed the statement.

5. jtlee321

Why thank you. :smuggrin: Aren't you glad I'm in numismatics rather than politics? LOL (Note to moderator's this is not an attempt to turn this into a rant on politics rather as a quick pro quo to a comment regarding a silver tongue)

6. jtlee321

Sheesh, at the rate we are going, this thread may finally ride off into the sunset by page 10.. :p

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

So then is a weak F a sign of a later die state? Think about it. The F is incuse and thin, so it has to be raised and thin on the die, like a little backwards F-shaped knife edge. Seems like a candidate for early die wear problems to me.

8. Insider

Too Late! :facepalm::p

If we had term limits and our congress only met for a very short period and then went back home to their real jobs as was done at our founding we should be a better country. Also, I believe that virtually ANY older (over 55) US citizen member of this forum (with a good character) including the mods should make a good President. An intelligent person with work experience and common sense would naturally grow into the position. Wait...I thought this was the "Good Teacher" Thread. :D

9. Insider

The way I heard it, most missing "F" coins resulted from a plugged die rather than the "F" being polished off the die.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

My ONLY gripe with that is that with the complications of modern life, members of Congress would acquire nearly no real expertise, and true power would be more concentrated in the hands of fulltime legislative staff. Speaking as one of them, and looking around me, YOU DO NOT WANT THAT, TRUST ME!

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Only if you're not going to beg Doug to give it a like for the next six months. In that case this thread could surpass Frank's 200 page thread crying "baby shoes" cause Doug wouldn't give him a like.
    Even though he did promise Doug some blondes and brunettes as well let's just say "because it is a family format " some gimmes! :)

12. Insider

The legislative staff ALREADY has too much power and the office would only need a skeleton crew (of two) when the congress was out of session most of the year. :D

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

Wow, we're only three when we're IN session, not counting the Rep. And we have committee responsibilities to boot! The constituent service staff back in the district is four people.

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I knew this but omitted the varieties to keep the answer simple. :)

15. Insider

You guys are "squared away." Too bad Philly is in your state. ;)

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The look of it suggests chemical exposure, likely the main contributor to the toning. Further substantiated by how it appears to run on the coin, over the rim and on to the coin edge.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  17. Insider

Where were you this past Wednesday? This thread would have only been two pages! ;)

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

It means some people on this planet still have a sense of humor! Lets go for 10 pages.

19. Insider

Color me gullible. :( I hoped to learn something about forensics.

20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

What planet are you on? Pick one ● ° • ○ • ○ ● ° • and remember Pluto is no longer a planet ........

21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I can't envision the alloy of a Buff being so varied as to resist/succumb to a caustic chemical in such striated patterns. The chemical staining is secondary to the actual cause of the striations, IMO, hence my thinking that it was mechanically damaged in a solution of something capable of causing that staining.

Draft saved Draft deleted