What is going on with surface of this 1930 Buffalo?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Care to post a photo if possible?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

They were loaned to me years ago by Fred Weinberg. I returned them long ago and took no photos.

4. Insider

Well, now the new member does not get to/learn to do a little research on his own. If he failed all of us could have helped him out as you did. :grumpy:

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

and sometimes that's the polite thing to do... answer their question

6. Insider

7. mikenoodle

but that's not what this forum is for. This forum is for sharing knowledge.

8. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Actually, scratch that comment about the SBAs. It may have been the dies that were chemically etched. Too long ago to remember clearly.

9. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Just a BEAUTIFUL coin!

10. Insider

That's what I :bucktooth: thought originally. But:
    :rolleyes::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Unfortunately, a person cannot share "knowledge" that they do not have. All they do is pontificate misinformation. Now, I've been learning who's posts to respect and which long-time members should be reading the threads rather than posting.

I'm a part time teacher. I do not believe in the "spoon-feeding" method of education. From experience both personal and in the classroom, I have learned it is better to guide a student to reach the answer to a question on his own. That's why I did not post: "It is the designer's initial. F for Fraser. He designed the Buffalo Nickel. they all have this feature." :facepalm: "60 - rewrite pal!

PS Sixty was the numerical grade for "F." :D

11. Insider

Yes, the coin is very pretty but you will come to learn that damaged, unoriginal, corroded coins should generally be avoided as they have little value to experienced collectors. That being said, I would buy the coin for myself (if priced within reason) just to have a beautiful coin that is an excellent teaching example for an "altered surface."

12. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Toooooooooo funny!!

13. mikenoodle

and I am curious as to which column I fall into in your mind? (Although it doesn't really matter, it's just your opinion.)

The information that I gave was correct.

14. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

What Talent you have!!!

15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Maybe struck thru a fragment of die polishing cloth which stuck to die after periodic cleaning. A few other coins were also struck thru with diff. results as the cloth deteriorated. The whole sequence went unnoticed at high speed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  16. Insider

Of course it was! I was just sorry to see that as a teacher you gave it before OUR "student" had a chance to try.

As for your question: Actually, I look up o_O:facepalm: former posts of almost EVERYONE :watching:to judge the numismatic knowledge of those who I am dealing with. While not at "the top of the class" :sorry: you got a passing grade. ;)

17. Insider

Just curious. :yawn: Why are we still trying to come up with further posts that have been debunked?

Let's see if we can stretch this thread (What is the OP's coin?) and devote some pages to "fantasy."

I'll take a shot. Perhaps the coin is the rejected start of a modern "Hobo" nickel carving! :D

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Fantacy is the key to modern forensics.

19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Well thank you all for your participation. At this point, I think my $40.00 was well spent for the education as well as having a nice "oddity" to add to my collection. Had this coin not had great eye appeal (to me at least) It would probably be getting returned. But I love the look of it in hand and as said in my original post, one of the reasons I bought it was because of what I saw going on on the obverse.

Thank you @mikediamond for clearing this up. I am comforted that you believe this happened at the Mint rather than someone basement. I suppose if this happened at the Mint it could be classified as a "Mint error" LOL. Regardless, it's going to be put away in an Air-Tite and will be welcome in it's new home.

20. Insider

Now that sounds VERY INTERESTING! I'm going to start a new thread (if you don't today) "Fantasy is the key to modern forensics." to find out what this means. :joyful:

21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Thank you @mikenoodle, had you not answered the question regarding the F under the date, I would have. If I'm asked a direct question regarding something, I like to give a direct answer. Had the person asking about the F given an implausible guess as to what caused the F, then perhaps I would take the route that @Insider took. As far as the F being on all Buffalo Nickels under the date, that's not exactly true. There are some varieties that have been abraded to the point that the designers are now missing. Of course the F was supposed to be there. LOL.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted