What is considered old???

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by coinguy-matthew, Jun 2, 2012.

1. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I found a 1988 $1 bill and i was just wondering where is the cut off line when your collecting them? Do you keep 80s notes or are they just not worth anything???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

There's not really a cutoff line, if you like it, keep it. If you don't, spend it. It's that simple.

5. coinguy-matthew

Ok let me re-word my question when do notes begin to carry a premium, im sorry im just getting into currency i know to grab all funny serials but that cant be the only ones worth something???

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

That's a broad question. I have a series 2004A $50 New York Star (GB*) that is worth $500-$750 in CH-CU, and a series 1996 $100 Cleveland Star (AD*) worth $900-$1200 in CH-CU. Different years and different denominations have all kinds of different values depending on the amounts printed, and survivors. The modern-era is most FRN's starting in 1963. Your best bet would be to follow auctions, visit dealer websites, and/or get a copy of the Standard Guide to Small Size Paper Money 1928-to date (10th edition).

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

What SteveInTampa said. Buy the book first. You'll be amazed at what recent notes can fetch.

....also what brg5658 said.:D

8. coinguy-matthew

9. coinguy-matthew

And i keep asking but no one seems to answer me but what is considered a low printing???

10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Depends on the note. That's why you need a book. It'll list all the printings for different series.

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Barnes & Noble. In stores or on line.

And you can find the number of notes printed here: http://www.uspapermoney.info/

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I consider anything below 640,000 a low printing.....but that's just my humble opinion.

13. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

amazon has a digital copy of "standard guide to small-size us paper money 1928 to date" i believe.

14. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Draft saved Draft deleted