What is considered a low serial number?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jmf2737, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Hi, Low serial numbers can start with digits other than "zeroes".
    For a "Run" collector, any note close to the first serial of any of the 15 runs (1-15) would be a desirable number for the 96,000,000 million-note business block of the $1 FRN's. 6,400,001, 12,800,001, 19,200,001, 25,600,001, etc. thru 89,600,001...
    For the Star notes this would be 3,200,001, 6,400,001, 9,600,001, etc. thru 25,600,000.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. Drawde

There are collectors who seek to obtain notes with the low serial numbered notes and also the highest for each run of each block of $1 FRN's... I have the data to prove it. Do Not put email or personal info on the forum. Use Private message ( conversation) after you have 10 regular posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  5. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I would remove your email. Bots can see it and will use it.

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I think the point being that there are collectors of almost anything, and the goal should be to buy from those who don't appreciate what you collect, and sell to those who desperately desire what you have.

PlanoSteve and Drawde like this.
  7. Clarenze Cruz

Clarenze Cruz Active Member

To me, any serials with four leading zeros are considered low numbers.
    A couple of my notes with low serials, 33 & 9999.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Drawde

Thanks, didn't think of that!

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Hi, Low serial numbers can start with digits other than "zeroes".
    For a "Run" collector, any note close to the first serial of any of the 15 runs (1-15) would be a desirable number for the 96,000,000 million-note business block of the $1 FRN's. 6,400,001, 12,800,001, 19,200,001, 25,600,001, etc. thru 89,600,001...
    For the Star notes this would be 3,200,001, 6,400,001, 9,600,001, etc. thru 25,600,000.

Yeah, no.
    You can collect whatever you want. No one here will ever say that you shouldn't collect something. But there are accepted definitions for what a low serial number is to serious collectors, and what you have described is not it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Paul M. likes this.
  10. SteveInTampa

Don’t want to pile on, but I agree 100% with @Michael K

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

I think this may be the sticking point. The notes Drawde is describing are certainly collectible, but they aren't "low serial numbers", and calling them that just creates confusion.

Here's one from my own collection:

[​IMG]

It's the very first note of a star run, I think it's quite cool, and despite its circulated condition I paid a nice premium to get it. But a low serial number it ain't.

Paul M., PlanoSteve, Drawde and 2 others like this.
  12. SteveInTampa

I had no idea collectors had interest in these.
    Learn something new every day.

13. Kimo Sabe

Kimo Sabe New Member

Snapshot_20180428.JPG I know this is on the opposite end of this thread (I'm new here) but aren't these extreme for the denomination? Normally these would have been sold by the BEP on a sheet of bills, am I right?

14. Drawde

Nice notes...
    Series 2013 has the Sept 2017 BEP report details the MB99,200,00F as an end note... Also the Nov 17 as MB 99,200,000J!

15. SteveInTampa

The BEP $100 collector sheets were 2009A LF-A block, serial numbers 99504001 through 99600000, so neither note was cut from a collector sheet.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

Yes, 3 or 4 zero's to start and then a * and then the mintage, and a good grade if possible.

17. Drawde

Question?
    Is there a thread or forum in cointalk.com in which to share paper money collecting interests?
    If not, how do I start one on which I can attach some (not-all-mine) MS-Excel spread sheets of notes which show serials of FRN items with interesting stuff (like sheet-notes, WEB's, Lo-/Hi serials, errors, after BEP errors, run starting and ending serials, FP/BP numbers, mules, etc.? I know of many (mostly $1 FRN's) that I have seen during my active paper collecting years from 1963 thru 2013 offer a wide variety of interests?
    There are also "$1 Note-Data" collectors (by series) out there who track finds from banks, circulation, or auctions (like Heritage's). I actively trade with a few guys, however, many have passed. We always used the USPO for writing & trading and not so much the internet.
    I have often wondered why little or no interest is shown to recordkeeping as this aspect of collecting and the sharing of this info is important too...
    For example, I find the thread about "found in circulation" great. Especially since having recently found a well worn 1957 $1 SC Star-note in one of the 13 bank-packs searched from a local bank. Wanna see a scan?

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, it's a star-pi-note!

19. Drawde

20. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

For the $1 through $20 denominations, circulation printings go up to 96000000. But for $50's and $100's, they go up to 99200000. (And before somebody asks, yes, the cutoffs were higher in the past--Series 1974 was the last time serial number 99999999 was printed for circulation.)

Drawde and NOS like this.
  21. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Well, I'm not sure how *many* collectors would really be interested. But we do exist! :D

Drawde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted