What is considered a low serial number?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jmf2737, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

I know the more leading zeros the better, but what if it's an older note? Do you guys have differing opinons on this? What one person may consider a low SN, someone else does not? Or is there some type of "industry standard?"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

i consider low to have 3-4 zeros then any numbers after those zeros

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I guess for U.S. notes four zeros would be the starting point. This would be considered a low number.

[​IMG]

For Canadian notes anything under under #100 would be low but most don't really have a premium until it's #10 and lower. This is the lowest Canadian note I've found in circulation:

[​IMG]

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

MEC2 likes this.
  6. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I agree with all the post's above.
    At minimum, 4 leading 0's less than 4 means even better potential for the notes value.

Rickieb

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Notes with serial 0000XXXX are the norm, but I prefer 00000XXX as a starting point.

Paul M. and Stevearino like this.
  9. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

all zeroes except for the last 3 numbers or lower.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Low SN's are even funner when you are seeing ★s (stars). :thumb:

F-1969H* $5 Series 196

SN: H 0000 0650*
    PCGS 65 PPQ

[​IMG]

11. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i have to agree with you krispy :thumb:

[​IMG]

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Hi-err... LowSN-Five! :high5:

13. Dr Kegg

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In 1976, a grandmother in California went to the bank to get a couple of the new Bicentennial $2 notes to put away for her grandson. Immediately, she put the crisp, new notes into an envelope where they remained until a couple of years ago. When the grandson opened the envelope, he discovered that they were consecutive serial numbers from the San Francisco FRB, 00000001* & 00000002*. They were placed at auction at one of the major houses where they sold for about $29K & $9K respectively. It's amazing that one single digit difference between the two of them was worth $20K. Had the grandmother known anything about collecting paper money, she would have been smart to buy the entire pack.

Chris

15. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I would agree that 4 leading zeros is the starting point.

16. SteveInTampa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I collect the serial #12, and kinda got carried away by the "ladder" effect.

Endeavor, TheFinn, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  17. Dr Kegg

Steve, how in the world were you ever able to acquire these notes from the same year and same district? Not only that, but have them grade 65 and 66? That's pretty lucky if you ask me.

GoldFinger1969 and Stevearino like this.
  18. SteveInTampa

I got the word out early in my collecting years that I fancy serial #12, and these were found for me by Dan @ Currency America. I receive quite a few leads from friends/collectors and dealers when notes like this come up for sale/auction.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. krispy

krispy krispy

Just takes persistence, patience and friends in the right places... as more eyes are better than just one pair out there looking.

As always, very very nice notes Steve.

20. Coin Hunter

Coin Hunter Active Member

I know this thread is older, but I am starting to hold on to pre 1969 currency. I came across a $50 in circulation with a 0 leading the serial number. Im pretty happy with that (1) 0 for now.

21. Jordan Banknote

Jordan Banknote New Member

Hi everyone,
    Is this note considered a low serial number note? I bought it recently as one, but PMG did not mention it on the holder. That being said, only 324 notes were printed before it. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted