What is an experimental 1993 D matte finish Roosevelt dime value ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Addict 2018, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Now back the my coin and the subject at hand .Thank you Mr. Fred Weinberg for you professional observation. Hopefully I can send you some better photos later .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I wouldn't bother as you'll get the same answers. It is what it is, accept it or spend your money for a TPG to tell you the same thing.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You seem like a nice guy who enjoys numismatics. My unequivocal opinion (as well as others who I highly respect) is that your coin suffered environmental damage. My recommendation is not get into a flame war (it will happen), sit back, read the posts, and learn from the many experts on Coin Talk. I’ve been actively collecting, studying, and learning about history, numismatics, and the minting process continuously for almost 50 years and I still regularly pick up knowledge from this site (BTW: my collecting interests range from Late Roman Bronze to pre-1850 European minors, to German Porcelain notgeld, along with the standard US date and mint sets)

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps

Coin Addict 2018 likes this.
  5. Wow ... Well darn . Why does it feel like my trying to share a few important details for an accurate assessment of my coin is being attacked

6. I'll take your advice Old hoopster and ill keep it very simple from now on so that way my desire to know and learn more about THESE STRANGE - EVEN FLAT GREY TONED COINS with environmental damage won't offend any experts

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Please, just submit the coin and end the discussion. Too many posters have made up their mind about a coin and refuse to accept experts opinions.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No coin offends, and most experts come from being involved for decades with such.

The life of most coins involve many different environments and affecting factors, so that to get coins from various parts of the world to appear exactly the same effect would be unusual unless they were purposely kept in similar environments since the mint, or very low coincident percentages. The clad layers of a dime are made of nickel and copper. Both form dark oxides over time , depending on the atmosphere. humidity, other gases in the environment, and TIME. Nickel2Oxide3 forms a grey to black oxide. Many have seen bright dimes, light grey dimes, medium grey dimes, dark grey dimes, and even sometime Blackish dimes after many years. In most toning sequences the medium colors are the most transitional and that is why many want their coins toned, not too light and not too dark.
    Finding coins matching in tone is easier from a collection where they were all exposed to the same factors, than hunting for them . Silver tones easily, but nickel takes much longer, There are probably hundreds the exact shade as yours, but most people aren't noticing it. Good luck.

Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  9. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Because you are experiencing cognitive dissonance.You believe what you have is special and when confronted with multiple knowledgeable opinions to the contrary it causes dissonance. Your mind is uncomfortable with that dissonance so you chalk it up as an attack because that allows you to continue believing what you have is special. It's special and you are being attacked, or it's not special and you are getting honest, knowledgeable opinions. No offense, I have been in that boat many times.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just out of curiosity, what are those sources?

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

BTW, just noticed that you are a member as of today, welcome to CoinTalk. You have made 20 posts on one subject, slow down and read some other posts. No one here is against you.

12. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Wait, why didn’t you go there first?

Dynoking, CoinCorgi and Clawcoins like this.
  13. Thanks I truly appreciate the insight

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Thanks for the welcome Kentucky !

Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  15. Well I wanted to find out if I could gain a little more insight on it before I send it off since ive never heard anything more then possible environmental damage from the pictures of it ... And although it seems like the coin is environmental damage through the pictures in person in someone hands it has this a perfect even Flat Grey finish on both sides of like it was intentionally made that way with shiny perfect edges . So naturally I assumed it was more then environmental damage since the tone is so flawlessly even on both sides . And the only other one that Ive ever seen had a PERFECT SHINNY SIDE AND THE SAME FLAWLESS GREY TONE ON THE OTHER SIDE . But nevertheless I'm by far no expert in this department . So that's why I've come to the experts in search for more insight of the damage or possibly similar coins that have the same even finish to compare them . No offense to anyone here I'm just very through when it comes to learning about coins since I've had a few coins in the past that I was told was one thing but ended up being something totally different in the end . So I guess it never hurts to be through I think .

16. With all that being said ... Thanks for all the insight guys . And hopefully I've have something better to share next time besides environmental damage .

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It mentioned that all of the "experimental" coins were eventually issued specially in sets or individually. Some extras were released to circulation. Anything released into circulation would also be found in a mint product sold at a premium. No 1993-D dimes were issued in matte proof/specimen, ergo...

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I have made similar looking coins playing around with the bead blasters at the mint where I worked.

19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

They don't offend experts. But they are very, very common as paddyman98 mentioned and some are shown in this post ==> https://www.cointalk.com/threads/2013-maryland-quarter-bronze.319591/#post-3128632

Matter of fact I just got a environmental damages nickel in some change. Darker than yours, and more damaged but still a nice darker tone across the entire coin, though more dinged up as probably in circulation for longer. You can see the edges are scrapped up shiny from bring stacked at some point in coin rolls for redistribution.

Keep in mind the environment (beach sand, versus various dirts, etc) has everything to do with what happens to the surface (or even just stored away in higher pollution areas, etc)

DC162200-1F76-41B1-A17F-3D0572D434A8.jpeg BD56EAD0-F95D-4226-92F2-0FACF4595838.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My initial belief that your dime spent CONSIDERABLE time in a sulfur-leaching paper envelope is reconfirmed by both the shiny edge and the oh so tiny bright spot on FDR's cheek and the D mintmark.

Coin Addict 2018 and Stevearino like this.
  21. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

It happens in here alot, dont mispell anything or use a wrong meaning and ive been told by many that my coin wasnt what i thought it was but HMMM, TPG GRADED differently, so i only cruise around pretty much anymore. but i feel your pain, the negativity in here is disgusting at times the way they treat new comers. So just brush it off and toughen up the skin if your gonna be around here and ask questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted