What is a TROLL ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Jul 21, 2021.

1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Yup, same has happened but different circumstance. I have been called a "paid shill" for voicing my own opinion on something that makes sense to me. Sometimes they are the trolls themselves for leaving a reply like that while not adding anything of note to the discussion (and being allowed to continue to post as well).

There's another site I frequent that has a "chatterbox" sub-forum, the kind of place where a post can literally get buried in a matter of seconds. One time I tried to post something (took me 15 minutes to type it out) and completely was on topic where I wanted it to go. Moments later I am notified via message that it gets moved to Chatterbox, and guess what it gets buried and no replies.

Little things like this make people not want to post as often on different sites.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Baiting (especially if it's a socially charged topic) is definitely another form of trolling, just a less harsh version of it. I see it on facebook and reddit a lot.

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I am not, my mom said so...

charley likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

True!
    I Nicely reported it :troll:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Oldhoopster likes this.
  6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Now try harshly reporting. That may work.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I left here in this section quite intentionally. Why ? The primary reason is that the GD section is an opt-in only section, meaning that only those who decide to opt-in can even see that it is there. And this topic, given all the discontent that arises from this member or that member calling another a troll, when they really aren't, well that makes the topic too important for some not to be able to see it. So here it stays.

And hopefully, as a result of the discussion there will be less of the judging and labeling.

8. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

That's a reasonable explanation. Works for me.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I almost gave him a Best Answer :wacky:

But I will do that when I get another featured thread
    :hilarious:

Insider likes this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I know a very disagreeable, sarcastic, "troll" when I see me.:p

BuffaloHunter, paddyman98 and expat like this.
  12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Certainly not all but some people have difficulty expressing the thoughts in their head when attempting to convey them in a written format. Might be a medical problem
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I am a schizophrenic,
    and so am I.

BuffaloHunter, Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  13. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

You are basically what I think about when I wrote my earlier posts sir, along with Dr Assar. Some people may be obstinate at times, but heaven forbid anyone might be smarter than others on certain issues. I am afraid sir, knowing more about a subject than most will always have you labelled by some on the internet as a "troll". I have some subjects on which I also would be labelled one. :(

expat likes this.
  14. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Trolling has become synonymous with arguing. If a person is arguing with someone, they are not trolling. They are just arguing.

In reality trolling is a completely different sport. A troll simply throws out a statement which on the surface seems harmless knowing that future levels of the discussion will devolve into stupidity. A good troll doesn't even need to get involved in the argument. They can just sit back after it has begun and watch others embarrass themselves.

For example, I could start a thread asking, "what do you think of Dan Carr/CAC/other controversial topic?" Then I could just sit back and watch the argument play out. A couple excellent examples from this forum are Ed Wood and that newer guy who was pretending he was spending his future fortune on coins (probably the same person if you ask me). They start very simple dumb threads knowing that people will bite and the discussion will continue for a week.

The term itself refers to the form of fishing, where the fisherman dangles his lure from the back of the boat passively waiting for a bite.

eddiespin, paddyman98 and medoraman like this.
  15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:troll: CHOMP!

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I agree sir, yet those who might be in a position to know more than most others about a topic are regularly labelled "trolls" if they refuse to agree with the majority of (less) informed posters. I have seen it here many times, an unpopular opinion getting written off as trolling when in fact the person unwilling to back down is better informed than the group.

That is the danger of labelling someone a troll. You better KNOW you are more knowledgable on a subject, or heaven forbid you are the one who is wrong and needs to be open to admitting it. :) I love being wrong, I get a chance to learn.

mynamespat and expat like this.
  17. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Being PROVED wrong is an addition to your knowledge base, and there is no reason not to put your hands up and except it.
    Gotta experience the dark so you can appreciate the light.

paddyman98 and Insider like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I am rubber, you are glue,
    what you say bounces off me,
    and sticks to you.

It takes as troll to identify a troll.

expat likes this.
  19. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I am not talking to you. Your stories are better than mine.
    And you suck at keep one, drop one so I am not thrilled about that, either.
    So there.....

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m giving you raspberries but I can’t type that. :)

charley likes this.
  21. Zorrbabe

Zorrbabe Coin shortage of good coins not crappy ones lol

Troll is just somebody that Has no life afraid to identify themselves as who they are and our keyboard Cowboys anonymity’s OK but if you’re being a psycho be a psycho as yourself

Draft saved Draft deleted