What is a this? (PCGS slab with no grade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bugo, Apr 10, 2015.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I believe this enters the realm of "sample slabs". I know theres people on here who collect sample slabs so hopefully they can chime in.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Makes sense for active buyers and traders to collect old slabs, as it helps them identify (other) bogus holders they might encounter; I would think that a bogus holder is likely to hold a bogus coin, no matter how skillfully manufactured. Just an additional layer of protection.

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

That my friend, is a fine piece of spit.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They were give aways with coin starter sets

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

There was a collector's kit available in the mid-'90s that contained these samples along with a few other things.

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Scott Travers did a coin collectors kit with Random House in 1996 [http://www.amazon.com/Coin-Collector-Starter-Scott-Travers/dp/067660045X] They did teens and 20s coins [I don't have my set in front of me or I would remember the right dates]. It can be a fun short set to assemble - they are often found on eBay around $5-10.

David Hall was quoted as saying they did a huge # of pieces, I've seen it said 100K

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The dates range from 1917 to 1929, but there are no 1921 or 1922. To my best knowledge, all Philadelphia. Well circulated.

Scott Travers "Find a fortune in your pocket change", ISBN 9780676600452

See here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pcgs-authentic-slab.258302/ where I posted a picture of the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted