What is a stained coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, May 23, 2016.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

So one of the coins I sent off to be graded came back in a details holder saying stained. I did a little research seeing if NCS can remove the "stain" but it says they're usually not able to remove the stain.

So what exactly is a stained coin, can it be fixed, how does it affect the value of a coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well, one will never know without a picture of your coin!

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

A stained coin is a coin with a stain on it.....

The potential causes are as numerous as the causes of a stain on a shirt, and the chances of removal are about similar: depends on what stained it.

micbraun likes this.
  5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

It is vague, so I see why you asked the question. I guess another question would be, what commonly stains coins? I'm not sure p. My guess: glue of some sort from govt packages (I think this happened to a coin I have), cleaning mishaps, artificial toning with sulphur compounds, or maybe some kind of sticky food or trash that clung to a coin and it oxidized just in that spot leaving a stain.

6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I believe you "could" have submitted the coin for restoration or conservation. At the time of submission, did that cross your mind or was it not a option?

I've seen slabs labeled corroded, detailed and cleaned but never stained.

7. BigTee44

Yes I was thinking NCS but when I went to NCS' page it says they likely can't help a coin that has been stained.

I only had this coin in hand for a day or so before I sent it in.

My WB is off in the first pic so the pics don't help much. When I called and spoke with them they mentioned the right field. So I'm not sure if it's the black marks or something else?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Have you dabbed a qtip with acetone on that spot? Or spot treat it with verdicare. Or, just try and sell it raw and see what you can get. I don't think it would be worth ncs if they don't usually remove stains. As for what it is, maybe something black nicked off some color there and it's now imbedded a bit. It's probably too late to remove without also removing some of the metal, which might look worse. I think it's very subtle. At first, I thought it was that spot at top on reverse

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I like it, And I don't care about any slight "stain" that it may have.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've had some experience with these. The first time, I took a AU details stained 1818 bust half, cracked and did nothing to it, then sent it to PCGS where it graded AU50. The 2 other times, pcgs called one Cleaned and another they called Stained as well. I tried to remove it with acetone and all the other safe methods, but nothing could be done. Some I'm 1 for 3 and in the hole a couple hundred bucks, even with the big score on the bust half...

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Dip that puppy!

/runs for the door

12. BigTee44

It came back UNC details so it's a very big difference between a details grade and a clean grade. Anything above a 60 would make it a $1k+ coin according to the NGC price guide.

I have no problem spending the $100 to have it conserved, but I don't want to spend the money if it won't actually help it grade clean.

13. Allen Small

Allen Small New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted