What is a set of Morgans?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevinfred, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I know I'm supposted to "collect how I like to" but I'm OCD, and so far this is a very difficult hobby for me ;)

Anyway, I am making a folder to house 2x2 Morgans. What is the closest "official" list of Morgans to go by?

Redbook?
    Greysheet?
    Numismedia?

As we all know, there are the variations early on, and a handful of "O/S, O/CC, etc"

I do want to make sure my 1895 Proof is in the set..... ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

The closest thing to 'universal' when collecting a 'set' is year/mint set.
    That is where you collect one of each year AND mint mark for said year.
    That doesn't include varieties. Once you open a 'set' up to varieties, then
    all bets are off and the set is totally objective to the person collecting.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you want to collect one of each date/mintmark, it would probably be best to buy the 2-volume Dansco album. The only thing it doesn't have is a slot for the 1895 Proof, but I don't think I'd want to put that one in an album or a 2x2.

Chris

5. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I was teasing about the proof... bad joke, been a long day --- Ratio411 I think you're dead right, once the door is open... it's open. BUT it's so hard to look at, say, the 1879 rev. of 78 in EVERY book, internet site, etc.

Anyone know how the Dansco Book is layed out?

6. Get Some

Get Some New Member

You could also just do the date set. You just need one of each year and one of each mintmark in the back. It will be a lot easier and a lot more affordable, but perhaps not as rewarding. I have started one of these but I want to eventually get the 2 volume dansco album as said before.

7. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

IMHO, I'd collect a year set only. That means one for each year, but you choose the mint. That way, you can sidestep some of the really hard dates, like 1893-S.

Or,

You can collect all of the Morgans from a single mint, like the CC dollars only.

Or,

You can get just the 1893-S in XF

Or,

You can collect all of the varieties for one year, like 1878; 8 TF, 7TF, 7/8 TF, and a bunch of VAMs.

Or,

You can broaden the set and collect everything just by one designer, Mr. Morgan.

Or...........

A set is anything you define it to be. Just have a theme and make it coherent.

Have fun!

8. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

the problem that I have is when I first started, I went all crazy and bought basically what 'looked good' with no thought of storage/display. I did buy the Dansco Date Set book for 7 bucks at a show, but then what do I do with the 1879 o and s? I don't mean to make this out to be more than it is... I'm just confused....

9. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Don't be a slave to a date book. Dansco sells books for Morgans that are blank,so you can make the set whatever you want.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Each page has 12 slots. Volume I is for all mintmarks, 1878-1890. Volume II is for all mintmarks, 1891-1921. There are no blank slots for such varieties like 1879-S Reverse of 1878, O/CC, etc. so it is left to you to decide which specimen you want to use for the date/mintmark.

I'm sending you a PM!

Chris

11. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I have decided if I ever do a Morgan set, it will just be the single Dansco date set.
    I doubt I'll live long enough to finish the 2 volume set, and if I do, I won't have the dough to fill it.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Your Morgan set should be put together with a definition made by you.
    The Red Book is a good starting point.
    Ignore date/mm/varieties you don't want to include AT THIS TIME (like the 1895).
    If you build your own album as it appears you are going to, you can always make alterations later as your set definition changes.

13. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

I completely agree. If you know enough about the series and your personal goals, you'll be able to define the set you want to collect.

My personal goal for Morgan dollars is to start with a date/mint set, and make sure I include all of the following:

1878 8 tailfeathers
    1878 7 tailfeathers, reverse of 1878
    1878 7 tailfeathers, reverse of 1879
    1879-S reverse of 1878
    1879-S reverse of 1879 (these are extremely common)
    1880-CC reverse of 1878 (all are overdates)
    1880-CC reverse of 1879 (all are overdates)
    1882 O/S
    1900 O/CC

I would also exclude the 1895 proof.

No, I am not close to completing this set. :)

14. silvercowboy72

silvercowboy72 New Member

I was having the same problem with Morgans. I have decided to collect a single mint, and acquire the best coin my budget can afford to fill the void. I am collecting Philadelphia Mint Morgans. This what my collection looks like so far:

1881 PCGS MS-64
    1882 NGC MS-64
    1883 NGC MS-64
    1884 PCGS/CAC MS-65
    1885 NGC MS-64
    1886 NGC MS-64
    1887 NGC MS-65
    1888 PCGS MS-65
    1891 NGC MS-63
    1896 NGC MS-64
    1897 NGC MS-64
    1900 NGC MS-64
    1902 PCGS/CAC MS-64
    1903 PCGS MS-64
    1921 PCGS MS-65

15. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Bingo. Define what you want, then go for it.

I use the NGC's Registry as a loose guide if you will. You can go insane going for VAM this, overdate that, Scarface this, EDS that... Now that I have you all spun up with questions, for me, a set of Morgans is the "Date/Mint" set (in graded MS64 or higher for the coins I can afford).

This EXCLUDES the following coins:
    1878 7/8 Tailfeathers
    1879-S PAF
    1880-CC PAF
    1882-O/S
    1887/6
    1887/6-O
    1895 (Proof only issue)
    1900-O/CC

Do I have some over dates and over mint marks? Yup. Because opportunity presented herself and I obliged. Will I get the coins I am excluding now? Yes, but not going to extremes for them. ;)

Don't be afraid to get a new album and move your coins. I've got albums I had purchased and later went back and moved the coins out.

Hope that helps some.

Draft saved Draft deleted