What is a red cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ismael, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ismael

ismael Junior Member

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered before. I see references to "red" Lincolns. What exactly "red" means when talking about a coin? I guess it is related to the copper. Is this term used only in Lincolns or any other copper?
    Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Thanks,
    Ismael

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Copper coins tend to discolor over time. They tend to turn a brown color due to reactions with stuff in the air. Even if uncirculated, a coin may turn brown (they will if not stored very carefully). So, when evaluating copper coins (such as Lincoln's)...part of the evaluation is the color. Typically, this is broken into three categories: Red, Red-Brown, and Brown. The more red, the more desirable.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Uncirculated copper coins have an additional descriptor - Red, Red-Brown, or Brown. A Red coin has nearly the full, red Mint color, Brown has turned mostly brown, and Red-Brown is in between. Within the same numerical grade a Red coin will command a higher price than RB or Brown.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I thought this might be helpful. I went to Heritage and pulled some photos as an example. Now, the appearence of the colors might vary slightly from coin to coin...but this should give you a general idea. All three of these coins are 1909 VDB Lincoln cents graded MS65 by NGC. However one is MS65RD, one is MS65RB, and the last is MS65BN.

MS65RD
    [​IMG]

MS65RB
    [​IMG]

MS65BN
    [​IMG]

6. ismael

ismael Junior Member

Thanks all for the clarification. So basically it is the "like new" unique shiny luster of copper which fades to brown over time. Since this change is inevitable unless properly sealed/stored: Is it correct to assume this only applies to uncirculated coins?

Thanks!
    Ismael

7. CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted