What is a good way of getting coins without using money?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SkullReap99, Apr 26, 2010.

1. SkullReap99

SkullReap99 Coin Collector

Hi. I am a beginner coin collector so I am not an expert on everything. But I have a question, what is a good way of getting coins without simply buying anything? I was just wondering

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

A mask and a gun?

5. Opus007

Opus007 Junior Member

LOL. I will be watching this thread for new ideas. LOL

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Please! Somebody help this member with an answer so I can find out, too!

7. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Depeds on what you want to collect. If you are interested in collecting coins that are still in circulation, the answer is obvious - hoard your change and look at the coins to see which ones you want to keep.

But, if you have an interest in coins that no longer circulate, or coins that are foreign, the best thing for you to do is look at some catalogs and learn about what you want to get, how the coinsa are graded, and plan what you would like to have. Then, start slowly by investing a small amount of money (yes, you have to spend a little in the beginning to get started) and then you might be able to sell what you got for a small profit, and then use the profit to buy more coins, so at the end you may have a small, growing collection that you technically did not spend money on.

Those are the only 2 ways I can think of to get coins without spending money.

8. Opus007

Opus007 Junior Member

You have heard about the pot of Gold at the end of a Rainbow ?

9. LewR

LewR Junior Member

I was thinking a large punch press.....

But going through bags of circulated coins from your bank or credit union would be a great start - it's nice as you keep what you want and return the balance !!

But I was thinking hard about the gun and mask method.... ROFL

10. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Metal detecting, checking in the cushions of your couch, searching your car, going through the laundry before it goes in the clothes washing machine, recycling, etc.

-LTB

11. Opus007

Opus007 Junior Member

Go to the Contest Forum. Always some good freebies there. It Rocks

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The general idea of seating cushions is good, but rather limit at one's home I suspect. Try similar types of cushioned chairs at Libraries, especially College ones, Student union, Some Starbucks, Banks, Hotels/motels waiting areas, etc. Change is good sometimes, keep a lot of ones to get the maximum back. I just released several handfuls of '40s and 50's wheaties back into circulation at various stores, so maybe others do also.

13. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

I've been toying with the idea of releasing some older pennies and nickels back into circulation. I have some liberty nickels that are extremely worn down and common, thus not any real worth. But I'm thinking, if I place them, along with some buffalo and wheatbacks into circulation in my area, it may spark some interest in a person to start collecting coins.

14. sirfordster

sirfordster Member

I use a metal detector and go and find coins at parks and playgrounds. Today I found $1.55 in change and a gold earing.:D

15. LewR

LewR Junior Member

Cool idea, I have to put some thought into that idea, it sounds simple but good!!!!

16. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

Welll DUHHH I go to the Mall & pull coins out of the fountain.

17. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

Does someone in your family collect? You could always inherit. Maybe someone has a roll of 1877 IHP's locked away. I've heard stories on here ....

My dad managed a bank branch and used to get cool stuff and bring it to me. Now he buys random coins and gives them to my son.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Other then our contests...I don't know of any.
    Seeing coins are money it seems a bit hard to do.
    But good luck with that.

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hmm, what about those Coinstar machines that you have in the US? From what I have read, "odd" coins sometimes end up in the reject bins, or are left somewhere on or around a machine. This way you might get some pieces (mostly non-US, I guess) that the machines do not accept.

For domestic coins, check your change, ask friends and relatives whether you can check what they have. Some stores may even allow you to have a look at what they have in the cash register. That would probably imply "using money", but at least you would not have give more than the face value for what you get.

Another option would be swapping, but that obviously requires some coins that you could give away in exchange. Maybe at a later stage then. :)

Christian

20. Space 4 Rent

Space 4 Rent Uber-Collector

Look down when walking - you would be surprised what people drop, or cast off as not worth bending down to pick it up.

21. The absolute best way to get coins for free is to ask friends/family to give you coins as gifts (for birthdays, holidays, graduations, promotions, etc.) instead of something you do not really want. TC

Draft saved Draft deleted