What is a good price for Tiberius Tribute Penny - VF-XF

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Svarog, Mar 28, 2017.

1. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

huh..that is really neat!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Interesting topic! Some time ago someone here asked about budgeting for a set of Twelve Caesars in VF silver. Off the top of my head, I pegged a Tiberius denarius at about $400, but as others have pointed out already, prices are going to be determined by many other factors than just a VF or EF grade. I agree with Ides' $1200 minimum figure for an nice EF as well as Roman Collector's $400-$600 for something with a lot of eye-appeal. It would really be helpful if the OP could share a picture or link of some examples from online sales records to show exactly what meets his criteria for this type.

This one here is mine. I have a problem saying exactly how much it cost me because I bought it together with 90 other coins in a group lot. For purposes of my own records, I pegged its value at $480. I'd be curious to hear if others think I was on the mark, near it, or way off.

Lot - Tiberius Penny a.jpg

4. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Looks amazing, and exactly what I am looking for in terms of quality and sharpness. The one I was looking at missing left side legend on obverse

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a beauty @zumbly and money well spent I think.

stevex6 and zumbly like this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

@zumbly, that's an example of better style

Here's mine, just for the pleasure of piling on. Telling its price would be pointless as I bought it in the early 90'

[​IMG]
    Tiberius, Denarius minted in Lyon after 15-16 AD
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGUSTUS, Laureate head of Tiberius right
    PONTIF MAXIM, Woman seated right (Livia ?)
    3.71 gr
    Ref : RCV #1763, Cohen #16

Q

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    TIF, icerain, Paul M. and 11 others like this.
  7. zumbly

Outstanding style on both sides there, Q!

Cucumbor likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Huh, so that's what a tribute penny is, eh? (a Tiberius denarius)

... man, collecting coins is confusing

Oh, I think Doug's imitative example is super cool and Ancient Aussie's, Roman Collector's, Nemo's, Bing's, Z-Bro's and Q's examples are also awesome looking coins! (ummm, did I miss anybody?)

:rolleyes:

Huh, a Tiberius silver denarius is a tribute penny (I'm outta the loop)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

My observations/opinions on a couple of the recent coins shown:

The portrait style of this coin is among the best you'll find of Tiberius on a tribute penny. Despite missing Livia's foot and part of the reverse legend, this is a very desirable coin and would be graded EF by any auction in which it appeared. You'd be lucky to find this coin for less than $1,500 today.

This portrait is also quite good, the centering is excellent, and it's only moderately worn. It was a bargain if you got this recently for an estimated $480.

My own coin was purchased over nine years ago so its price isn't useful in today's market, but its style is very similar to Cucumbor's:

3c - Tiberius AR denarius.jpg

TIBERIUS 42 B.C. - 37 A.D.
    AR Denarius (3.63 gm.) "Tribute Penny" Lugdunum RIC 30
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS Laureate head of Tiberius r. Rev. PONTIF MAXIM Female figure seated right

My dealer described this coin as "superb."

TIF, icerain, Curtisimo and 12 others like this.
  10. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

This might be a weirdly specific thing to be impressed by, but I would never expect to see foreshortening on an ancient coin like I see exhibited in the chair arm of your reverse, Ides.

And the cheekbone on that obverse! Maybe there's a family connection between old Tiberius and Johnny Depp?

11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

...want! I bowed at $600 or so for one just like this.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those who have things like to be sure there is someone out there who still wants something. If there were 20 (my guess???) and only 10 people cared, my heirs would take a loss from the $100 I paid. I was offended when CNG sold one as part of a lot of two coins (the other was an Indian aureus). There are a million Bible readers who want a coin that Jesus was shown and probably only 100,000 Tribute Pennies so they sell for a lot. I doubt this coin is on many want lists.

A few years back CNG sold more than one lot that I found very interesting just because they existed.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=97972
    These were Indian and unofficial but casts and not 'original art' like mine. I have no idea who bought the groups but I wonder how many of the unofficial ones are still identified that way. There are a huge number of modern fake Tribute Pennies and no small number of Indian copies. For the record, I believe my TP below is really nice style and would be in quite high demand if only it were not for it being so obviously a fourree. Tiberius made these coins by the millions; unfortunately, he was not alone in that effort. Beware!
    rb0930bb0026.jpg

Cucumbor, Bing, TIF and 11 others like this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Not brilliant but I consider a good buy for $161 USD, plus fees sold last weekend on a Swiss auction I was in with only one bid.
    [​IMG]

Cucumbor, Eduard, Bing and 11 others like this.
  14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I think the tribute penny is one of the better stories of the Bible. It is extra neat because I have a coin related to the story. I pasted the story from an on-line source, so I hope it is a reasonably good translation -
    Paying the Imperial Tax to Caesar
    13 Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Jesus to catch him in his words. 14 They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not? 15 Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”

But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” 16 They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they replied.

17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

And they were amazed at him.
    Mark 12:13-17 New International Version (NIV)

At the time Jesus told this stroy, only three Roman Rulers had placed their portrait on a coin AND used the name CAESAR: Julius, Octavian / Augustus and Tiberius. The coin Jesus held could have been from any of those rulers, but a Tiberius would have been more likely. Tiberius had only two reverse types and the seated Livia was far more common.

zumbly, Johndakerftw, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree. That's a great looking coin for under $200.

16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Yes they have few bargains on Auctiones GmbH, but only run every couple of months.

Curtisimo and Paul M. like this.
  17. zumbly

Nice score!

18. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Tough to find them in decent shape under $200 due to market demand. Here's mine. A bit off-center, but that probably brings it into my price range. $157 this past December, from Numismática Prados on VCoins.

TIBERIUS1.jpg

19. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Thank you

20. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

So I had my eye on one I found at eBay, before this thread appeared, and it looked pretty good to me. The seller is new, with evidently not much coin knowledge which I know is a gamble - to my eye the coin appears righteous. I put in a snipe as I figured I might pick it up cheaply. Due to this thread I bumped up my max bid just a touch north of 5 bills, but still came away a loser.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roman-Coin-Tiberius-14-37AD-/172589279783?nma=true&si=cUPPGhj7uQACJ8c2Ru804JOGFWQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

21. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

I was watching it, but not sure about the quality, a bit smoothed for my taste and not sure about authenticity - $680+ shipping 60 way too much for me, for unknown pedigree. But this is just me

Draft saved Draft deleted