What is a good price for Tiberius Tribute Penny - VF-XF

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Svarog, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

What considered to be 1) GREAT 2) REASONABLE 3) GOOD price for Tiberius Tribute Penny in between VF and XF condition

thank you all

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Have you researched CNG archives?

Alegandron likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

5. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

I did, just wanted to know you opinions since, we have some knowledgable collectors here who doesn't like to overpay

6. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Thanks, researched that, just wanted to know what would you pay, for this coin

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

VF: $200, Ef...about $400+

I've seen them as little as $120, but they sometimes have issues or its a steal and gets zapped up quick.

8. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Thanks Mat, i see, this is helpful , i was just thinking if $540 is a bit too much for near XF condition uncertified?

What do you think

9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, can you show any recent (i.e., within the last 12 months) examples of these coins selling in EF condition for $400? While these coins are plentiful, $400 for an EF condition tribute penny seems like a rara avis.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Easier to post a pic, if you can. But I think it's too much.

11. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

what would be your price tag for nXF IdesofMarch01?

12. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Thank you

13. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

While I own one of these coins, that doesn't necessarily make me an expert on the topic.

With that caveat in mind, my first observation is that the portrait quality of Tiberius on these coins varies enormously. If you want a well-centered coin with readable legends and a good style portrait of Tiberius, I doubt you'll find one in EF condition for less than $1,200.

If you accept a middle-quality portrait of Tiberius, then my observation of the various research websites (CNG, ACSearch) is that an EF with good centering and readable legends will be at least $800.

At the very least, familiarize yourself with the vast range of portrait quality on these coins before making a purchase.

Added: If you detect a bias toward higher quality portraits, you'd be correct. All other things being equal, a good-style portrait in "good VF" is more appealing to me than an EF with a mediocre portrait.

14. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Agreed, thank you for your advice!!

15. Ancient Aussie

I paid $211 AUD for a VF from a dealer, but 3-4 years ago. 2015-01-07 01.07.44-6.jpeg

16. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

I see - this is helpful - thank you so much!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Terms like VF and EF are meaningless with these coins. There are lightly worn but boldly struck, perfect surfaced and great style coins that will bring more than completely unworn but uneven, part legend, ugly, toned coins. You might be better off seeking out a dealer you trust and asking them to find you the best they can for whatever price you are willing to pay. The fact that you want a coin that is extremely popular pretty much guarantees you will overpay. Otherwise, it would have sold to someone who saw it yesterday. How much are you willing to overpay? Do you want style, strike, tone

I agree with Ides $1200 number if we are talking about a coin that does not require footnotes to describe. On the other hand, I suspect there are slabbed MS 1/5 1/5 coins out there that would be quite a 'bargain' at 1/10th the price if all you want is a label.

Jwt708, Deacon Ray, Cucumbor and 4 others like this.
  18. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, i want a coin with sharp portrait and reverse, not much concerned about legends

19. Ancient Aussie

As Doug says below the coin is so popular and there is a lot of them, but they are overpriced, I only bought one in the early days to complete a twelve caesars set, otherwise I would not have gone after one.

Svarog likes this.
  20. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Thank you Aussie

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  21. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I happen to like these and I have most of the different varieties, however, they all have buts. Which did I pay the most for? Which would you pay the most for?

EF, fine style, huge flan, full legends but pitted on the obverse:
    TibG1.jpg
    Nicely centered, full clear legends but avf:
    TiberiusGroup4.jpg

Fine style, excellent metal, gfv but tight flan so missing half the obverse legend and the top of Livia's hand:
    TiberiusLivia.jpg

TIF, Curtisimo, stevex6 and 14 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted