Featured What is a "CircCam", you ask? Look and see! And post yours!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 24, 2016.

1. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

Speaking of Peace Dollars this one is at my local coin store. I looked at it for awhile today but passed on it. I may go ahead and get it Saturday. Thoughts?

IMG_5653.JPG IMG_5654.JPG IMG_5653.JPG IMG_5654.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

wornslick and dwhiz like this.
  4. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

What causes the color change? In person the coin still displays a little bit of the original luster.

5. lordmarcovan

The coin got toned grey overall and then the toning got rubbed off the high points as a result of light, even circulation afterwards.

wornslick likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Just bought this 1921 Peace dollar based on a tip by @Lunchbox John (thanks, John!)

It's got a nice look, I think. I already had a decent one, but this one is "crustier", with more contrast. So I've put my other one up for sale and am already upgrading the Peace dollars in my set, though since deciding to go with this look, this is presently the only Peace dollar in my set for the moment!

Seller's images below. There's a tiny hit on the point of the bust, but that doesn't bother me. It is more than compensated for by the toning, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Pay attention to the lord, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

wornslick and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

That's my kind of Peace dollar, well done.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

PM sent lordmarcovan.

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

2E7C83E3-A0DD-41F9-A0CA-F95FDAB0ABC6.jpeg 510B7056-0AF4-486D-ABF8-F2E8CE04F3AC.jpeg I love this look and buy a lot of them. Especially the bust and seated design I just don’t have a lot of images of them. Just mostly my high end au/ms stuff here’s a few though

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

3E6992F4-463D-494F-9302-B278125E3BF3.jpeg F1DFFADE-81EC-4E20-83FE-227B7421828C.jpeg Hope Porous enough for the environmental damage details but this one circulated a bit after it was in the ground I personally love this coin

12. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

13. lordmarcovan

I like it even more with those pics.

As it happened, I had anticipated that somewhat.

Here's the original set of images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is what happened when out of curiosity, I used my phone's tone auto-adjust feature on the photos, just to see what would happen, and it came out looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now your latest set.

I think I like it even more based on these pictures.

Sure, it has some marks and hits, but not inconsistent with this grade level, I think. Nice coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  14. wornslick

wornslick Junior Member

lordmarcovan, your auto adjust made it look a lot closer to what it is. Please check our conversation when you have time.

15. lordmarcovan

Good to know. I tend to trust it most of the time, because I use it on my cellphone shots of my "crusty" Morgans and it usually makes them look more accurate.

16. JayF

JayF Active Member

Is this only for old coins? All the examples are old coins...or maybe just silver coins? Enjoying the examples tho. Thanks for the thread.

17. lordmarcovan

It can happen on newer coins as long as they've had time to darken (tone) and then subsequently circulated long enough to rub the toning off the high points. But modern US dimes, quarters, and halves are mostly copper-nickel alloy, and that seldom darkens unless it's been in the ground, and then it crosses the line into environmental damage.

It is not completely unknown on modern coins, but is definitely unusual.

And it takes some time. So yes, generally you will only see this sort of "antique patina" (as it is referred to outside the numismatic realm) on older coins.

Mostly this look is a result of the natural toning of silver, but as has been shown, it can happen on other metals as well.

JayF likes this.
  18. JayF

JayF Active Member

Ahh that makes sense now...thank you. If TPGS adopts this "state", could help renew the interest on old coins/make newbies look at older coins more instead of only sticking to Wheat/LMC, dimes and nickels :)

19. lordmarcovan

It's just a particular look. A kind of toning. There's not really any way a TPG could quantify or classify it.

But it does have a following. My "CircCam" (circulation cameo) phrase has gained some (unofficial) acceptance here and on the PCGS boards, though people can of course call it whatever they like. I just wanted a shorthand term.

20. JayF

JayF Active Member

I've seen slabbed coins with comments about rainbow toning, I think it adds value albeit not significant. Yeah, read that in your original post that's why I said TPGS could/might adopt it for grading...it is a cool term.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted