Featured What is a "CircCam", you ask? Look and see! And post yours!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 24, 2016.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1910 Canada 10 cent and 1922 GB 3 pence. Most of my coins are well circulated and show their age. 1910 CA 10 c obv.JPG 1910 CA 10 c rev.JPG 1922 GB 3 p obv.JPG 1922 GB 3 p rev.JPG

CircCam, Pickin and Grinin and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

4. coin_nut

I agree, will give it a shot soon. I hear so often on here that "cleaning" coins is a bad no no, makes me scared to even try!

5. lordmarcovan

Well, you certainly don't want to go at it too hard and mess up that nice original toning, but if you soak the coin in acetone and then get out your loupe and either a toothpick or rose thorn to work at that green crud, maybe it'll come off and leave the original "skin" beneath intact.

(Toothpicks, bamboo skewers, and rose thorns are often hard enough to use as fine-pointed tools without being hard enough to scratch the metal of the coin.)

Cleaning loose grime and surface deposits off a coin needn't always be a no-no, IF you're working carefully and not disturbing the underlying surfaces and toning.

The only downside to this is that removing surface deposits off a coin can sometimes reveal untoned "new" metal beneath, which might not match the rest of the toning.

But I think that threepence might respond well to a short soak and a little fine work with a bamboo skewer on the green deposits.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

7. coin_nut

First time I have seen that type of coin, wow. Now can I find another circ cam here...Do either of these qualify? 1877 Hong Kong 1 cent and 1889 Straits Settlements 20 cents. 1877 HK 1 c obv.JPG 1877 HK 1 c rev.JPG 1889 SS 20 c obv.JPG 1889 SS 20 c rev.JPG

lordmarcovan, NSP and CircCam like this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

1901 Indian.png

This is a good example of a copper CircCam that has crossed the threshold into environmental damage, but I liked the look and thought the contrast of LIBERTY was cool. My whitman don't judge. :)

9. coin_nut

Dang, that sure is a purty Indian Head Cent! Reminds me of aged, oil finished black walnut wood.

JimsOkay, lordmarcovan and CircCam like this.
  10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

11. coin_nut

1928 S US 5 cent. I know I have posted this one recently on some thread. 1928 S US 5 c obv.JPG 1928 S US 5 c rev.JPG

12. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Was just working with some newer pics of my coins and came across this one, another circcam beauty...

1C1849P-06.001obv.JPG
    1C1849P-06.001rev.JPG

13. coin_nut

1928 Portuguese Angola 50 centavos. 1928 PT-AO 50 c obv.JPG 1928 PT-AO 50 c rev.JPG

14. lordmarcovan

Alas, I did not win that Elizabethan coin.

But since I lost that, it allowed me to get this one.

How about a gold DirtCam from the Crusader era? :)

Sicily (Norman Kings): gold tari of Guglielmo I ("William the Bad"), ca. 1154-1166 AD
    Guglielmo I.jpg

I was light in the medieval gold department and needed to address that.

Though I could have pursued rounder examples with better strikes and flans, this one "spoke" to me, and I had to have it. And I'm going to leave most if not all of the dirt on it when I send it off to PCGS. (Might give it a very light brushing with a soft brush, at most.)

This is an interesting cross-cultural coin with both Islamic (Kufic) inscriptions and Christian iconography. The collision of these cultures during the Crusades produced some interesting hybrids like this, with Christian rulers imitating Islamic coinage. (In this era, the Muslims were often the more technologically advanced culture.)

Pickin and Grinin and Nathan401 like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

I really love the Portuguese coinage of that era, and many of their copper-nickel coins acquired the ideal "CircCam" appearance, for some reason.

That one is no exception. Not only is it a handsome CircCam but it's just a really nice coin design. Elegant and classically inspired without being too elaborate.

16. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

17. lordmarcovan

Thanks. Hopefully fixed now.

18. lordmarcovan

Here is a newp from mere moments ago, but I did not buy it for myself. I bought it for one of you, as this is going to be part of just one of the prize lots in the upcoming July giveaway! @Nathan401 has put up another nice lot of goodies.

Stay tuned - as of this post I do not have the new giveaway launched just yet. I hope to, within the next 24 hours or so from this posting. Watch the link in my signature line. I will update that link from the June giveaway to the July one when the latter is posted.

$_12.jpeg s-l400.jpg

19. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sweet coin from our Country's Centennial!

20. lordmarcovan

Yes, in following your example for Independence Day, I wanted something 1776, 1876, or 1976. Something fun and interesting but not too horribly expensive (just paid my mortgage payment today).

So I hit upon the idea of a "Centennial CircCam".

It's your fault for putting up such nice goodies for the July giveaway. I knew I had to up my game when I saw what you were donating!

We will keep everyone in suspense about that for just a few more hours. ;)

Y'all watch my sig line link... :)

21. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Here's one I found in my change. I've always loved these 20180701_213622.jpg 20180701_213541.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted