Featured What is a "CircCam", you ask? Look and see! And post yours!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 24, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Side note- I have yet to own a coin from Scotland, even though I am of Scottish descent on my mother's side. It'll happen before long.

JimsOkay likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

4. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1819 6 pence, 1854 O 50 cent and 1896 florin, all circ cams for your viewing pleasure. 1819 GB 6 p obv.JPG 1819 GB 6 p rev.JPG 1854 O US 50 c obv.JPG 1854 O US 50 c rev.JPG 1896 GB florin obv.JPG 1896 GB florin rev.JPG

5. lordmarcovan

6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

7. coin_nut

It does look kinda like someone "improved" that 1854 O half with a pocket knife! Thanks for pointing that out. Let me see if I can post a couple more circ cams, hopefully without any additional artwork thereon...

1857 P US 10 c obv.JPG 1857 P US 10 c rev.JPG 1894 S US 25 c obv.JPG 1894 S US 25 c rev.JPG 1853 P US 1-2 d obv.JPG 1853 P US 1-2 d rev.JPG

Nathan401, CircCam and NSP like this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

IMG_7006.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

1913 Barber Dime copy.png
    Someday I will find a CircCam barber in XF and I can put that slot to rest for good. Still hunting but this will do for now.

tmoneyeagles, dwhiz, coin_nut and 3 others like this.
  10. coin_nut

The US silver seems to make the prettiest circ cams. These 2 world coins appear rather circ cam-ish to me. 1870 FR-A 5 f obv.JPG 1870 FR-A 5 f rev.JPG 1875 DE-B 20 p obv.JPG 1875 DE-B 20 p rev.JPG

11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Sheild Nickel on the right is a great circam, the one on the left wouldn't be in my album if it weren't for the really nifty cud under "cents". IMG_1109.PNG

12. lordmarcovan

Whoa! I totally overlooked that! It isn't the first time I've been distracted by admiring the contrast and ended up overlooking some flaw. In this case, the flaw (graffiti) is kind of interesting, though.

CircCam likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Perfect.

Perfect.

Yeah, those have a little bit of it goin' on. And by NO means is the CircCam phenomenon only a US coin thing!

CircCam likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Not my coin.

I love this. I want this. I don't know if I'll be able afford this. It's up for auction at the end of the month. Maybe I'll sell some stuff and bid. Maybe I'll admire it from the sidelines.

It's a groat (fourpence) of England's Queen Elizabeth I. I've been wanting a dated sixpence coin of hers (from 1565 or maybe 1588), and this one is undated, but the toning and the amazing portrait make up for that. The slightly rotated double strike on the reverse is strange looking but interesting.

4142734l.jpg

15. coin_nut

1861 Nova Scotia 1 cent and 1914 GB 6 pence 1861 NS-SB 1 c obv.JPG 1861 NS-SB 1 c rev.JPG 1914 GB 6 p obv.JPG 1914 GB 6 p rev.JPG

lordmarcovan, NSP and CircCam like this.
  16. CircCam

CircCam Victory

This coin is worth a premium in my opinion. Just gorgeous.

17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

18. coin_nut

Those poor old lions just had their noses installed in too high a relief! He also looks rather angry to me in that pose. BTW, I love that circ cam SLQ you have for your avatar.

lordmarcovan and CircCam like this.
  19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Haha, yes. His feet probably hurt after standing on that giant crown for over a hundred years.

Re: SLQ - Thanks!

20. lordmarcovan

Both handsome. Extra credit for achieving a copper/bronze CircCam on that Nova Scotia. It's not always easy to score CircCam contrast on base metal coins without straying into "environmental damage" territory, but it can be done. I think that one qualifies as an essentially problem-free base metal CircCam.

21. lordmarcovan

Look at the 1838 quarter at the top of this page.

Not only is that a gorgeous CircCam, but I also observe Gerry Fortin's use of my term in the description of that coin and a few others. I think the "CircCam" phrase has caught on since I coined it on the PCGS/CU forums over a decade ago.

26806623.jpg

JimsOkay, dwhiz, NSP and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted