Featured What is a "CircCam", you ask? Look and see! And post yours!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 24, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@jpcienkus - I want that DB half!

@Lunchbox John- I think you have a perfect eye for the CircCam concept. Those cents in your recent post are nice - as I've said before, appealing CircCams in base metals like copper, bronze, and some CuNi alloys can be tough to find, since there is often a thin line between "priblem-free CircCam" and "environmental damage" in those.

JPeace$ and CircCam like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Thanks- that 12-S Lincoln is living in my 7070 now after viewing tons of beautiful MS candidates for the slot. I love MS coins but the CircCam look tends to win for me and the better date sealed the deal.

I'm actually considering swapping out the MS coins for CircCams and going after a more consistent look... sure would be cool to see an entire 7070 of this stuff.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Thank you. That means a lot coming from you. It won it a recent HA auction. I knew when I saw it that I wanted it. I actually was on a business dinner with some of our company executives and was watching the auction on my phone to make sure I won the coin.

The picture posted captures the coin perfectly. In hand, it looks exactly the same.

lordmarcovan and CircCam like this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

@jpcienkus - I'll second that on your 1806....it has about as classic a look as one could hope for on one of those. Beautiful acquisition!

JPeace$ likes this.
  6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

1849 Lg Cent - Father's Day.png
    This would be more accurately described as a CleanedCam, but it was a Father's Day gift from my wife and I love it anyway.

...I just pretend it fell out of a California gold miner's pocket into the river and got scrubbed clean a long time ago. :happy:

JPeace$, lordmarcovan and dwhiz like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Consistent look and a focus on CircCam contrast over Mint State. That's exactly the strategy I have with my "Greysilver" Morgan dollar album, though in many cases with the common Morgans, it's actually easier to find nice MS examples for not much more money than a crusty grey circ would cost.

I choose the lower grade CircCam over the lustrous BU coin. Go figure.

Crazy? Maybe.

But to quote the immortal Joe Walsh lyric, "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time." :singing::)

PS- to do an entire 7070 album in CircCams is an admirable goal, and one I've considered, but some of those modern types like the clad coins might be beastly hard to find in CircCam!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    CircCam and JPeace$ like this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Thanks John. I appreciate your comments. BTW, your '49 cent is just plain cool looking!

CircCam likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Funny, I thought I had already posted this recent newp here.

Sasanian Empire. Khusro II AR Drachm / Fire Altar
    [​IMG]

Attribution: Mitchiner A. & C. W. 1188
    Date: 611 AD
    Obverse: Bust of king right wearing winged crown
    Reverse: Fire altar with two attendants
    Size: 26.44 mm
    Weight: 2.48 grams
    Description: good Fine+

Yes, it's actually dated. Some of those reverse squigglies are a regnal year, apparently. How cool is that?

JPeace$, dwhiz, CircCam and 1 other person like this.
  10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

That is outstanding!

Somehow I had never even heard of the Sasanian Empire. I'm really interested to find a text about their wars with the Byzantines now.

Thanks for sharing an eye opening coin!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This one I found in the back of the safe. It was well worth the soaks between distilled water, olive oil, acetone and quite a few q-tips. IMG_0001_1.JPG IMG_0002_1.JPG

dwhiz, CircCam and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

14. lordmarcovan

CircCam likes this.
  15. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Yeah, it's that one in the ICG slab I ran by you last summer when I first contracted bust half disease... just finally got around to taking pictures.

16. lordmarcovan

Oh- yeahyeah. Nice coin.

CircCam likes this.
  17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

18. CircCam

CircCam Victory

19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

20. CircCam

CircCam Victory