what is a 2006 nickel with two heads worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by thruthewire17, May 30, 2008.

1. thruthewire17

thruthewire17 New Member

2006 nickel heads on both sides of coin. what would the value of this coin be?
    thruthewire17

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

It is a magician's coin. The value is less than a dollar.

4. dctuttle

dctuttle Member

Sorry to disappoint, but chances are about 99.99% that the coin you have is a post-mint manufactured piece and as such worth pretty close to zero.

Do you have any images to post??

Dan

5. thruthewire17

thruthewire17 New Member

not right now but i can get one in a few days. but can you explain this a liitle more in detail i'm kind of lost with your theory...

6. thruthewire17

thruthewire17 New Member

its not a gagicians coin i know that much it is the real deal.

7. dctuttle

dctuttle Member

To explain a little - a coin with two obverses (two headed) is very unlikely to be produced at the mint. Virtually all examples of these coins are produced by someone after it has left the mint. Chances are very good that if you examine the edge of the coin, or possibly one of he sides, some type of seam will be evident. What has happened is that someone machined off the reverse of two coins and then joined the obverse sides together. These pieces are known as magicians coins and are just novelty pieces with no value.

Dan

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

And some of them are very well made - so pictures and close up of the edge would really help the experts determine what you have.

9. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

the best ones i have seen are actually created by machining into the reverse of one coin and then cutting down another and slipping it into the first. When this is done there is no seam on the rim but rather the seam falls just inside the lip on one face of the coin and is not noticable except under magnification.

Richard

10. thruthewire17

thruthewire17 New Member

its sides are normal

the sides of the coin look exactly like a normal nickels. ????
    don't really know but i can still say i think its real. it even has the letter where it was made. denver

11. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

If the person who made it used two real coins, as he/she normally would, of course the mintmark(s) would be there.

May I ask why you are requesting the opinions of forum members if you are so convinced that we don't know what we are talking about?

If you have been unable to detect the joinder under high magnification, and you are really convinced that we are a bunch of ignoraqmuses who haven't seen this same situation hundreds of times, then take it to your nearest coin shop and tell them you want it submitted to PCGS for authentication, grading and enshrinement in a plastic slab. When the dealer tells you the same thing we have been saying, tell him that you insist on spending the money for authentication because once it is authenticated its value will be astronomical!

Finally, when PCGS returns it in a body bag with the notation that it is an after-mint magician's coin, you can sue them for incompetence (although you probably will have to do it without an attorney because you won't find one willing to take your case).

12. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

13. mr22601

mr22601 New Member

lmao@hontonia

14. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

thruthewire,

If it is a Magician's coin, then there should be a very fine seam just inside the rim on one of the sides! One coin (the first coin) was hollowed out per say using a type of metal lathe and the another coin (the second coin) was ground down to fit in the hollow spot of the first. Some folks are so good at making these, that it is really hard to see the seam without a strong Gem Loupe!

Frank

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Any good ( decent ) tool maker, or machinist can make one , with the proper tools & equipment .
    rzage

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The OP's story and reluctance to accept the fact the coin is not genuine sounds a lot like the one below that I have excerpted from the PCGS Library site.

To see how a magician's coin is made check out the pic at:

http://www.coinauthentication.co.uk/images/magpound2.jpg

17. Jersey

Jersey Senior Member

Probably just a magicians coin, pretty much not worth anything. You can get them at magic stores for a few bucks. And the reason that they're not illegal, is because they're made with two genuine peices of US coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted