What is a 1948 Australian Penny worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by nic0le_01, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nic0le_01

nic0le_01 New Member

hey,
    i was going through my mums coin collection bag and found this.
    It has nothing on the back... (is it suppose to)?
    anyhow does anyone know if its worth something?
    thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum nicole.
    Unfortunately, a damaged coin that could be worth up to $200 in pristine condition, with the right mint mark, is worth 1¢ Australian IF the damage doesn't cause a merchant or bank to refuse it. :(

When minted, your bronze coin had a bust of King George VI facing left on the obverse (which is apparently the blank side of your coin) with the legend "GEORGIVS VI D G BR OMNI REX F D IND IMP" (George IV, By the Grace of God King of all the Britains, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India) around the outside. In order for you to identify it as you did, it must have the reverse design - a kangaroo leaping to the left, with the date under his (her?) tail, "AUSTRALIA" across the top and "PENNY" across the bottom.

Listed in the Standard Catalog of World Coins ("Krause") as KM#36, it is valued in the U.S. at 15¢ Fine, 40¢ Very Fine, $2.50 Extra Fine, and $12 Uncirculated if it is one of the 26,616,000 minted at Melbourne, with no mint mark. If it has a dot after the word "PENNY", indicating that it is one of the 1,534,000 minted at Perth that year, the values rise to 75¢ F, $3 VF, $35 XF, and $200 Unc. (Both sides have to be present for any of those grades.)

Krause doesn't mention any uniface mint errors being known, but we do have some Aussie members, so in the unlikely event that you have an error coin rather than a damaged one, I'm sure one of them will let us all know. ;)

4. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Can you post a picture of both sides?

5. nic0le_01

nic0le_01 New Member

Hi,
    thanks for replying. So are error coins worth more?
    This ones in alright condition- not shiny like it was new, just no dents or wearing. A few black marks down the front tho, dunno what its from.
    here are the pics. I dont know how to just put them directly here so i created a photo album.
    Take a look below. The pics arnt too good though coz i took em with my camera phone.

MY COINS

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hard to say for sure based on the pics - but it looks like you might have a capped die error. We'd need much clearer pics to tell. Afraid I'm no help on values, but give it a day or so and one of the Aussie members will drop by.

7. nic0le_01

nic0le_01 New Member

oh ok thanks!, if not ill try find an australian coin forum. Hard to find tho :-S

Draft saved Draft deleted