what is a 1882 estados unidos mexicanos N$1 error coin worth

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GOTBALLS, Apr 10, 2010.

1. GOTBALLS

GOTBALLS Junior Member

1882 estados unidos mexicanos N$1 error coin. I have the same coin with 1993 date

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Welcome GB, could you post some pics?

4. GOTBALLS

GOTBALLS Junior Member

picture

here is a picture

Attached Files:

5. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I am sorry but I can't figure out what you are asking. The picture looks like a normal Mexican coin.

KurtS likes this.
  6. GOTBALLS

GOTBALLS Junior Member

Hi,
    the coin in the picture has a date of 1882. They didn't make this coin until the 1900's

7. georgia ettenson

georgia ettenson New Member

hi ive got the same coin dated 1882 why doesnt anyone acknowledge these errors

8. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The photo is so small that's it's impossible to say anything about it.

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It is NOT from 1882

USCoinCollector42 likes this.
  10. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Post a pic, let's see what you got.
    I suspect it might be a die chip or gouge that makes the 9 look like an 8. Without a pic it's just a guess.

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Spark1951 likes this.
  12. fosgate3

fosgate3 New Member

I have the same coin. It clearly reads "1892" (checked several times with a loupe).

So it's established that this peso variant was made in the 1990s. Has anyone seen anything about date errors?

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It may look like 1892, but Mexico didn't make any coins with the "N" until 1993, coin dated 1992. Wiki mexican Peso ~ "In 1993, coins of the new currency (dated 1992) were issued in denominations of 5, 10, 20 and 50 centavos, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 nuevos pesos. The 5 and 10 centavos were minted in stainless steel and the 20 and 50 centavos in aluminium bronze. The nuevo peso denominations were bimetallic, with the 1, 2 and 5 nuevos pesos having aluminium bronze centers and stainless steel rings, and the 10, 20 and 50 nuevos pesos having .925 silver centers and aluminium bronze rings."

Mexico did not have coin presses that could do bimetallic in the late 1890s. I think a ding on the coin from useage or other coins in a bag caused the '9' to close a little and look like an '8' . Such occur often on soft metal coins. Jim

https://www.numiscorner.com/product...-mexico-city-ef40-45-bi-metallic-km-550?aff=2

15. ANGIE420

ANGIE420 New Member

I ALSO HAVE A PESO FROM 1882 WITH THE EXACT SAME PRINT. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO OPEN THEIR EYES SERIOUSLY OR GIVE THE SCREEN A BREAK BECAUSE IT CLEARLY STATES 1882 ON MINE AND YOUR PIC. WHAT IS THE WORTH?

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Fosgate only posted once on this forum, and that was his only . I suspect he found a better magnifier and changed his mind. If you can produce a photo that is sharp and large enough to see the date, we can comment. Fosgate never posted a photo, so how did you see it?

Anyway, there is one die that has damage where the separation between the bottom of the 9 and the top circle, where a non collector might think it is a closed bottom loop.

This what is should look like.Put the pointer over the coin to enlarge
    https://www.numiscorner.com/product...-mexico-city-ef40-45-bi-metallic-km-550?aff=2

This is the damaged die strike.
    https://i.imgur.com/naxYBip.jpg

17. Sarah88

Sarah88 New Member

IMG_20180626_221356.jpg I also have a coin that looks similar. Here is my pictures close up.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  18. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It looks like there was a die chip that makes it look like an 8. Look closer and you will see it is a 9.

Sarah88 likes this.
  19. Sarah88

Sarah88 New Member

Thank you for you time. I do see it. I was comparing some of my coins this evening and more research. Thanks again..

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:hilarious::troll:

21. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's not dated 1882 - it's clearly 1992,
    but the '8' is flattened a bit, or there
    might be a die chip in the date, but
    it was NOT minted in 1882, and the
    date is NOT 1882...

It might LOOK like 1882....but it's not.

Spark1951 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted