What is a 12 Caesars set?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by vlaha, Aug 21, 2013.

1. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Several people have been referencing their "12 Caesars" set. What does it consist of, is it a common set to assemble, and is it hard to do?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Those twelve are these gentlemen. ;) Some collectors of ancient coins aim at a set which includes a coin (say, a golden aureus) from each of them ...

Christian

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It is a common goal to assemble the "first 12 Caesars". Sustonius wrote an "historical" account of the first 12 Caesars entitled The Twelve Caesars. It can be hard to put together because of the relatively rare and expensive year of the four Caesars (Galba, Otho, Vitellius and Vespasian). It also depends on what type of coin set you intend to put together. Gold, Silver or base metal. If precious metal, a portrait coin of Julius Caesar, Caligula and Claudius can set you back a pretty penny. I started my set of denarii back 30 years ago, and finally completed it last year. The most expensive and hardest for me was the denarius of Caligula. Here is my set:
    The 12 Caesars_opt.jpg

ruud1301, nicholasz219, Ryro and 18 others like this.
  5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

These 12 can be Gold..very pricey, Silver..can be pricey, Bronze.. some what pricey.. There are a couple members with gold, few with Silver sets, haven't seen a complete set of bronze as of yet...:)

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Ya that's one with a Silver set, very nice jw, very nice...;)

7. Bing

Thanks John

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Trade my gordian iii ant. for your caligula :cool:

nicholasz219, randygeki and Bing like this.
  9. Bing

Sure thing. Just send the Gordian right along and, for heavens sake, don't hold your breadth waiting for the Caligula.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

:(

11. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Bronze is impossible, as JC and Otho struck no bronze portrait coins in official mints (provincials don't count...)

The Twelve Caesars set is based on Suetonius book 'Lives of the Twelve Caesars'.

In my eye, it consists of portrait coins of the Roman rulers from Julius Caesar to Domitian from Imperial mints (only Roman Imperial coins, not Roman Provincial).

It is a common set to try to assemble, but is costly to finish (which does make it hard to do on a budget)

I am working on a Twelve Caesar collection, with my first coin being the Nero below:

Nero
    AE Sestertius
    [​IMG]

65 AD
    Rome
    NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P
    Laureate bust right
    S | C
    Roma with parazonium and victory, seated left
    ROMA in exergue
    34mm
    26.53g
    RIC 273
    Extra: No Tooling or Smoothing, much better surfaces in hand

12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

WC, why don't provincials count...

13. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

They aren't from official Imperial mints, which is what makes up a Twelve Caesar set IMO.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive got no problems adding provincials in my 12 caesars set since a couple are way too costly to add in silver and some in bronze. So long as the portrait is OK and somewhat true to what they actually looked like then say some cartoons like some provincials can have then I am good.

15. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That's an extremely vague statement, depending on your definition of "Imperial." If you mean coins struck in the types of the Rome mint, bearing Latin legends, then yes, provincials don't count. If by "Imperial" you mean a large coinage, struck under Imperial oversight for circulation over a broad area, then you must at least allow the SC issues of Antioch and the Egyptian issues.

Or you can limit yourself to the Rome mint, which seems reasonable. Just be prepared to discard and Julio-Claudian aes from Lugdunum, and the Spanish issues of Galba! Oh, and get rid of your Ephesus mint issues of Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian.

16. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

So basically the 12 Caesars set is a decently tough challenge any way you spin it.

On a slightly different subject, are there similar sets that aren't as pricy? I am trying to find a small little group that I can do while completing other themes, displays ect.

17. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The best advice here is to forget about "doing a set." Collect good-quality coins that interest you and are in your price range. Eventually, a specialty will find you. Just sit back and enjoy the ride until then!

18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

That's exactly what I've been doing over the past year of collecting ancient coins. I looked for affordable coins in every region I can find. Collecting Roman Imperial rulers is my main collecting strategy now. Then collecting different reverse types of certain emperors.

I like collecting ancient Judaean coins and I have just about every affordable coin in the late BC to early AD and when the Romans were in control. That's just one specialty. And I also like my first Carthage coin. Etc, etc..

Your choice on what you want to collect.

I know I've been gone for awhile AGAIN! My PC went down and I had to get another that set me back $500. I have a hard enough time getting cash let alone getting a new PC. lol

Oh well, no coin purchases for awhile.

It's great to see all my friends are here!

19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Welcome back Gil.;)

20. Bing

Hey Gil, I know what you mean about these darn computers. My idea of rebooting is kicking the darn thing a second (or third) time. Glad you're back.

Gil is right about collecting. You can make a sub-collecting strategy out of most anything you can think of, i.e., invasion coinage, ladies of Rome, Fallen Horseman, campgates, etc. And the Ardman is right. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Collecting Ancients is an adventure.

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Indeed. I fall into the ladies of rome category. I also tend to favor portraits too. With ancients you define the set.

Biggest drawback...addicting :(

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted