What in the world is this

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by brandon spiegel, Feb 22, 2016.

1. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

I clicked on a link which lead me to a website called nomos.com when i saw this coin

[​IMG]

I under the description below it but, i was wondering how much money would a coin such as the one depicted above cost me. Furthermore, were there any other German or Spanish coins with a similar obverse design with such a high relief?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

That is definitely not a coin.

Amos 811 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm pretty sure it is Latin. Have you tried translating it?

Chris

5. krispy

krispy krispy

It's a medal, not a coin. Try typing the inscription into Google and you should find a translation and perhaps with a bit of digging, who designed/engraved and produced this piece and what it represents.

https://nomosag.com/default.aspx?page=ucDetailsStock&id=10896

Nomos is a Swiss firm that holds auctions and sells all sorts of numismatic material.

https://nomosag.com/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It has the Lutheran creed on the back and the edge of the design refers to 1544 AD and a Duke of Saxony called Maurice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice,_Elector_of_Saxony

I'd be just guessing here but I don't think you'd get any 16th C medallion like that for under $10000 and probably quite a bit more.

Oh, and it's NOT a COIN. Why is everything round, a coin?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Germany, Saxony. Leipzig. Maurice, Duke and Elector. 1541-1547-1553. Trinity Medal or “Moritz-Pfennig” (Silver, 103mm, 271.78 g 12), Leipzig, by Hans Reinhart the Elder (c. 1510-1581), January 1544. PROPTER SCELVS POPVLI MEI PERCVSSI EVM ESAIAE LIII(=I have smitten him for my people’s transgression - Isaiah 53) God the Father seated facing on a richly ornamented throne with clouds below, wearing Imperial crown, an embroidered and bejeweled cope and shoes ornamented with jewels, his hair and beard shown in high relief twists; his hands, resting on a crucifix standing between his legs, hold, in his left, a globus cruciger, and in his right, a scepter; before him, Christ on the Cross surmounted by the dove of the Holy Spirit with spread wings; at the foot of the cross, inscribed signature, H R; to left and right, standing on clouds, angel praying; above, heads of cherubim of varying sizes.
    Rev. REGNANTE MAVRITIO D G DVCE SAXONIAE ZC GROSSVM HVNC LIPSIAE H R CVDEBAT AN°MDXLIIII MENSE IANV (= in the reign of Maurice, by the grace of God, Duke of Saxony etc., Hans Reinhart cast this medal in Leipzig in the month of January, 1544) Two angels, on left and right, standing on clouds and supporting a large tablet surmounted by a shield of Saxony and bearing an excerpt of the Athanasian Creed followed by an unidentified prayer to the Trinity. Below, on edge, an old, incised collection inventory number, 6.2.Z.W.o.6. Currency of Fame, 127. Habich 1962 and pls. 207, 1 and 209, 1. A remarkably fine piece, beautifully cast and chased and of the highest quality. The cross, the figure of Christ and the Dove of the Holy Spirit are all cast separately and attached. Scepter slightly bent, otherwise, a lovely piece and, extremely fine.
    From the collection of J. R. Gaines, Morton & Eden, 8 December 2005, 42, acquired from Alain Moatti, Paris.

This is certainly Reinhart’s greatest medal, as well as being one of the most important of all medals made during the German Renaissance. The medal was created in an attempt at reconciliation between the Protestants (Maurice of Saxony, who must have commissioned this medal, converted in 1539) and the Catholics: the Athanasian Creed was accepted by both churches and Maurice apparently thought he could bridge the gap. The medal itself was very popular and it was reissued in 1556, 1561, 1569 and 1574 (the last three in the name of Maurice’s brother and successor, August who ruled 1553-1586); however, all of those issues are of lesser quality since most were not finished by the artist himself. Reinhart was a great medalist, and an innovative one, but he only produced medals over a relatively short period (1535-1544), with this being his final work (save for his later versions of this medal). He was originally a wood worker, producing sculpture and furniture, and this may explain why he was refused entry into the gold- and silversmiths guild in Leipzig after he moved there in 1539 (he was forced to pass a 5 year apprenticeship course, doing so in 1547). For his medals his specialty was the post-cast soldering of three-dimensional details onto the original casting, a technique in which he was a great and unsurpassed master: on this medal the crucifix, the dove of the Holy Spirit and the locks of God’s hair were all added after the initial casting. No other artist of his time attempted to equal Reinhart’s virtuoso creativity. After producing this astounding work Reinhart seems to have confined himself to goldsmithing and made no further medals.

nomos ag, numism

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Baldwins sold an example of the same medal in 2010 for over $70,000

NOS likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's a really cool looking piece.

NOS likes this.
  10. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Draft saved Draft deleted