What if they discontinue pennies?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by playguitar, Mar 16, 2017.

1. playguitar

playguitar Member

Does anyone think they will stop making pennies anytime soon? When do you think and what will happen to the value of wheats and simple errors like die cracks and Bie? Do you think pennies will become extremely collectible?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

No time soon.
    Therefore, nothing happens to values.
    Nothing will drastically "change" (no pun intended).

Just my $0.02.

(Did you see what I did there?)

micbraun, paddyman98, Jaja78 and 3 others like this.
  4. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I doubt that they will discontinue cents any time soon, but even if they did there are so many billions out there that no, they won't become extremely collectible.

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

They won't for awhile, unfortunately. And the only time any modern cents will be collectable is when billions that are out there are completely destroyed by zinc rot. Then maybe the surviving ones with no trace of zinc rot might be worth something.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

As long as Jarden Zinc continues to pay off the congressional candidates I doubt we will see the end of the cent.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

No, it would make too much cents. Ar, ar, ar.

8. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

So.... a few years? ;)

Evan8 likes this.
  9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Let's just say stashing away a bunch of high grade zincolns might pay off in the future. And if not, then you're not reallly out much money.

mynamespat likes this.
  10. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I think most people know that cents should be fazed out, but our government is so captured by certain economic interests (zinc miners) that it won't happen for a long time.

dwhiz and Ericred like this.
  11. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Hopefully it happens VERY soon.

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It needs to happen ASAP! Nobody cares for them and most people just find them annoying.

13. steve63

steve63 Active Member

Given how quickly the zincs rot away, I think UNCIRCULATED samples might someday gain a modest collectible value if cents are ever discontinued, but I don't see that happening for decades. But you might want to save a few rolls of BU's and pass them on to your kids or grandkids.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I agree they should be phased out. I have advocated this for 20 years.
    Since 1959 they have minted almost a half a trillion cents.
    How many have been destroyed/ lost, and collected? Prob only in the low millions.
    There are enough pennies in circulation to last for decades, until they need to round up or down to the nearest nickel.
    Half dollars are pointless. They need to stop producing them.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And when they stop making them they will all disappear within a year, two at the outside and they will have to round to the nearest 5 cents.

16. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Only for cash transactions.

That is, nowadays I'm guessing most folks use a credit card WAY more often than cash.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They wont disappear within a year. The have been minting billions every year, and that amount is unnecessary. There are plenty to last for a long long time. As was pointed out, most transactions are not in cash anyway, and the number of cash transactions gets smaller and smaller every year.

18. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Yeah the penny, as money, it's pretty much useless. I think if we did get rid of them the Mint would use the same strategy that they do for the Kennedy half dollar. Only produce the coins for proof & uncirculated sets. The seigniorage would more than make up for the cost of producing the coins and would be a profit to the Mint/Government.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They won't discontinue the paper dollar. Why would you think that they would discontinue the cent? Because Canada did?

They (Canada) were on the ball when they discontinued their paper dollar ('87'?) and switched to the 'Loonie'.......We're "looney" for keeping ours........

mikenoodle, thedredge and Gilbert like this.
  20. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Indeed. Must be the water. ;)

21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I am quite in agreement. Further, instead of slabbing them, I'd advocate encasing them in traditional old shellac, which will seal them from the elements while allowing the covering to be completely removed by a simple soak in acetone down the road.

Evan8 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted