what if there is a nuclear war?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrbrklyn, Oct 21, 2012.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot, I posted to this thread? What the devil was I thinking?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

That's exactly what I thought..I hardly remember this thread ..

green18 likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Why did you revive this thread? In case of a nuclear war, I hope to be near the 1st strike cause it won't be pretty. Whatever happens to my coins will be the least of my worries.

6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

bitcoins will not be useful, so you need to protect your coins.

7. superc

superc Active Member

I don't understand the OP's question. Why would we care? It has already been agreed that the only generically acceptable post global thermonuclear war currency will be rounds of ammunition commercially manufactured prior to the war.

A 50 round box of .38 Special cartridges or 9mm Parabellum is equal to 2 gallons of gasoline. A 50 round box of .40 S&W buys you 3 gallons of gasoline or 2 gallons of diesel. A 2o round box of .308 has 1.4 times the purchase power of a 20 round box of .223. 3.35 gallons of gasoline for a box of .45 acp. Worth noting that while some do prize the Browning .50 a 100 round can of the Ball M-2 cartridge only buys 5.5 gallons of gasoline, vs. 4 gallons for the .223, so really it may not be worth investing in that caliber (.50) due to the scarcity of weapons to fire it and the high maintenance requirements of the weapons that do.

Lethally radioactive little round shiny pieces of metal from a bygone civilization? Why would anyone want to be near them? Indeed anyone carrying such dangerous items is a clear danger to the other survivors and would probably be shot for the good of the community and bulldozed under along with their back pack full of poisonous metal.

8. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

So would zombucks be the currency after nuclear war??... or only after the zombie apocalypse?

9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It appears that after the governments destroy one another, then the armed individuals can shoot each other, eliminating all the aggressive types that survived. If the meek are smart, they can keep to themselves and become the ultimate winners.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  11. longnine009

It might be the same in an economic apocalypse-ie. If an investor could somehow survive it, he'd be "the stupid crow" picking the bones of dead gladiators.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I don't believe that after a nuclear war, that all human commerce will stop.

13. superc

superc Active Member

It won't, but as in the dark ages, law and order will be at the whim of the armed.

14. C Jay

C Jay Member

Coins are great for nuclear war. Don't take that box of searched coins back to the bank. Stacking them along your basement walls make an excellent shield against radiation and improves the quality of your bomb shelter. Burying your laptop in a case of pre 1982 copper cents makes an excellent EMP shield. As for you more valuable collectables, I recommend anti-radiation dip. Keep in mind, the world may have ended but coin collecting goes on.........

15. longnine009

And don't forget the sunscreen SPF 30 billion.

16. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

On me or the coins?

17. longnine009

Do I sound like a humanist? :Devil:

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Are you serious?

I'd be busy looking for food.

Congrats on the strangest thread ever created.

19. coin dexter

coin dexter Junior Member

100% agreement!! Who cares about the coins if everyone is dead!!

20. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

There will likely be people not dead and they will probably collect coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted