what i have noticed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jpwestpoint, May 25, 2016.

1. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

when i started buying gold and silver a short time ago, i liked to buy bullion, coins, bars...
    Lately, after the little i have learned, i see myself more interested in us gov. Coins, expecially older, uncirculated coins.
    What should i be focusing on? I like most all of them. Not picky. I think they are beautiful, but i also want to be careful with investing. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm going to be gentle........collect, not invest.

jpwestpoint, easj3699 and TJ1952 like this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

What do you like? Everything else is equal - you could equally get rich or go broke either way. What do you like? Buy that.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Morgans :)

jpwestpoint likes this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Though I could not agree more that one should never, or at least rarely, buy coins as an investment, no one wants to buy something and watch it become devalued either. To take my own example, I started a thread on SBA varieties a while back. I wanted to complete the set but the price of the Type 2s made my brain swaggle. Ultimately, I decided not to buy them because, to be honest, they didn't seem like good investments. I didn't want to spend some $200 on a coin that has no larger a variation than a slightly more closed "S" and then years later find out that numerous more were found in mint sets and now they're worth $25. I'd buy one then, for sure. So investment does play in a little bit. But fun should be the main aim. If you're not having fun, you should probably find something else to do.

joecoincollect likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Probably the most "bang for your buck" for older uncirc would be Morgans or Peace Dollars.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The closest you are going to get to investing is buying gold and silver bars.

Gov't bullion coins have too much overhead to have investment potential.
    Think "collecting" if you buy them.

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

10. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

I have a couple more questions...

How do you keep your capsules seperated si they wont scratch over time?

And i want to add some more gold to my collection. I would like something graded, but non bullion as i have been told by several of you. Any suggestions? About 1k or little more budget. Thanks.

11. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I'll gladly sell you everything I have at a huge premium. :)

In all seriousness, buy what you like! Don't buy what we like, it tends to raise the prices! :)

12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

There's boxes for slabs that hold them apart. Or you can have them tightly together but first buy these sleeves that you can put them in. If you collect silver dollars, first study a little because they can be expensive depending on year, grade, etc. if you want semi key dates, condition rarities, then first look at ngc's online price guide for the grades and make offer based on them (lower if possible). This way, you won't get burned as bad as you would buying raw coins with prices based on dealers' opinions. Study your coins and what you have an interest in, then seek deals.

13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I am selling an AU55 $10 Lib. close to melt = $590

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/4-tpg-gold-pieces.278565/

Draft saved Draft deleted