Featured What I found in a cheap "300-400 AD era" bronze roman coin lot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YoloBagels, Aug 15, 2018.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Ok, so I decided I'd spend the last $4.50 I had left on my paypal on an uncleaned, constantinian bronze coin lot. I recieved four coins, Two of which I am treating for bronze disease. I was able to get the dirt off with a needle, and had no idea what I even had. One of the coins I am yet to identify, but the other had decent detail; yet was completely unidentifiable as a roman bronze due to not having a profile.

So I decided I'd research bronzes from other ancient regions. Finally I got to Judean coins; and the first thing I see is the coin that I have.

Judean.jpg Judean2.jpg

As it turns out, this is not a "4th century AD Constantinian Bronze",
    but a 37-44 AD bronze prutah of Agrippa I.
    And I see they are selling for much more than I got it for, so its always nice to get a 1st century coin in a constantinian lot.

So now that I know that this lot consists of more than just roman coinage, what could this bronze coin be? It has a strange shape. Could it be Judean? Maybe islamic or egyptian? It doesn't look roman and that was my first thought when I saw it.
    Any help in identifying it is appreciated.

what1.jpg
    What2.jpg

randygeki, TJC, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I'd say you did pretty good just with the prutah. Nice score. I have no idea what the second one might be, although Judean is a good guess. Nabataean? These are often on squared-off irregular flans, from what I've seen.

A few weeks back I also got a Herod Agrippa prutah in a lot of undescribed ancients, and I was pretty happy about it:

Rome - Lot of 5 Saloninus, Volusian VIC, Herod Agrippa$0.99 Jul 2018 (9).JPG

4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

The second one looks to be a Byzantine pentanummi. They were first made at the start of the 6th century.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Can't be of much help. But nice score on the prutah. I've got a few prutahs/leptons that came in late roman hoards, a couple of Alexander Jannaeus - the so called widow's mite. Since the cost per coin was about $2 I made out okay. But the number of culls/slugs was around 60% :(

6. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Where did you buy this lot? I just right now decided I would want to start an EXTREMELY old coin collection. I already have a Tournois de Gaston des Dombes from 1651 that I found myself. So where did you find this lot you are talking about?

7. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

With ancients, you can go back another 2000+ years from your current oldest coin!

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF LYDIA, temp. Ardys - Alyattes
    c. 620s-564/53 BCE (dates from a CNG listing of a similar coin; I do not have the reference books nor have I read the latest thoughts)
    Electrum trite, 4.8 gm, 13.4 mm. Sardes mint.
    Obv: head of roaring lion right, sun with four rays on forehead
    Rev: two incuse square punches
    Ref: Weidauer Group XV, 64; BMC 2

randygeki, Marsyas Mike, TJC and 10 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A recent list included off center culls of 6th century small silver for $17.95. A bit more will get more lion on the flan but no one can say all old coins are expensive.

A little searching will find ancients to fit every need.

540 MILETOS, Ar 1/12 Stater, 6th cent BC, Lion forepart/star pattern, S3532-33; F or better,

good silver, but off-ctr. 17.95

[​IMG]

randygeki, Ryro, Marsyas Mike and 6 others like this.
  10. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

E5313090-8D9F-4189-83B4-C5F27E14268C.jpeg

randygeki likes this.
  11. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

I have spent hours trying to find out about this coin. It’s the 7’s that are prominent and all over the coin front and back is scattered small letters. Any insights would allow me a good nights sleep. Lol

12. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

13. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

If anyone could please tell me if you know anything about this coin I’ve looked for hours. Most appreciative with any response.

14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Personally I can't tell much from that photo, and we would need both sides. From what I can tell it could just be that someone took a screwdriver to a penny and had some fun. :(

philologus_1, TypeCoin971793 and TIF like this.
  15. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

:joyful: It’s ridiculous. The other side is the same. Thank you. Love the answer.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  16. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

17. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

Yeah, I just looked and it looks just like what I have . Awesome. Thank you so much

18. Lynn Jones

Lynn Jones New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted