What holders do people use for their bills?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Mkman123, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm more of a world coin collector but have started to dabble in some world notes for fun because I love the colors and design of some.

I wanted to know what holders being are members using for their unslabbed notes? I actually pulled up a old thread that talked about pvc, mylar, mylar d, polyester, etc and it wasn't conclusive. Basically each person is different and some may not use pvc, but others use it.

The thread was very old and I just wanted an opinion from people here now in 2019, what is safe to use? I saw on ebay the following:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Ultra-P...521469?hash=item43af19effd:g:VVEAAOxywbNQ-8z6

The seller says this is safe pvc.

Then I see this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-BCW-Lar...572719&hash=item33af5c499a:g:fs4AAOxyYANTawTE

This BCW states that its safe also

Then I see a Mylar D on ebay that some people on other threads say they use.

Can someone tell me what is ok to use and whats not ok? Its so confusing!

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have everything in a binder. I just buy whatever says "archival" since the way I see it, I'll probably be dead by the time the plastic actually degrades

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Most of the bills are stored in a harder plastic pvc free case.

5. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I use BCW products for my currency. I use the currency sleeves and deluxe currency holders. For notes in my album, I use their 4-pocket currency page.

BCW products use polypropylene, however they don't give any information on what plasticizers may be used. If I am correct in my thinking, it is the migration of the plasticizers mixed in the PVC that causes the damage. I would assume the same could be true of PP as well?

In any case, BCW claims that they have acid free, archival quality products.

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Dean 295 and Heavymetal like this.
  7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Mylar-D or equivalent

8. Mkman123

Thanks all for your reply.
    @mpcusa I bought some mylar d on ebay and will give them a try.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I think you find the material of high quality, many third party graders use
    This with great success.

Mkman123 likes this.
  10. Mkman123

@mpcusa Got the mylar d holders today and I'm happy I got them! I think I'll stick with them for the rest of my raw world notes! Big thanks everyone!

mpcusa likes this.
  11. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Mylar D from Denly’s of Boston.

Draft saved Draft deleted