What have I got in this 195? copper penny?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by William Bailey, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Attached are 4 pics of a 195? (can't read last digit as it is part of the error or damage). There is a rim clip on the right obverse that is also on the reverse in the upper part of the wheat sheath. There is also slight damage on the left rim just above Liberty on the left and can be seen on the reverse as well, and the "i" in Liberty also has damage. All the words on both sides are raised and very clear with only slight signs of surface wear, and the coin has an extremely dark patina (I've never seen a darker copper coin). What have I got here guys?

Attached Files:

alurid and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Damage

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey William , Welcome ! Can I see the side angle so we can see the so called "clip" . I'm calling on an expert in Errors , asking @paddyman98 for his analysis .

5. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

To me it looks like that side of the coin took a serious hit that flattened that part of the coin and erased the last number!! JMHO

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Incomplete Planchet Error. Aka 'Straight Clipped Planchet'
    I'm not completely sure about the date. I have some thoughts.

No

Oldhoopster and eddiespin like this.
  7. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

rlly? it just looks like it was hit by a hammer

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

When you look at so many of these for over 35 years (twice your age) you can tell what it may be.
    The upraised rim anomaly how it ends and slight Blakesley effect is enough evidence for me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    DarkRage666 likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Very nice error coin. Do you have a weight for it. Not that it matters but it should be under-weight due to it being an incomplete planchet.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Confucius say, "Young man not know much." :D

11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Nice straight clip.
    Too bad the date was lost

12. Thanks for your input Paddyman! I read about the Blakesley effect, and the coin does seem to have some opposite rim damage as well as on the "i" in Liberty. I'm trying to determine whether I should send the coin in for evaluation or grading.

13. Thanks for your input Alurid. I have not weighed the coin, but just ordered a coin scale so I can do that. From what I have read, it seems to be a clip that shows the Blakesley effect slightly opposite the clip. Just trying to determine what to do with the coin. Send for evaluation/grading or look for someone who collects minting errors who might want it.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The date is unimportant (any 1950s P coin is minor except the 55DD which this is not) as the error takes precedence here.
    I thought it was legit, but Paddy confirmed it.

15. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Although the exact date may be ‘unimportant ‘, the fact that it isn’t complete is.
    As usual, others will chime in but I think the value might be higher with a complete date

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a small incomplete planchet error to me. Also called a straight clip. Nice find and welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted