What has been your experience with submitting to PCGS for Crossover?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dan Spendlove, Jun 7, 2023.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I would not cross any over. Is it fair to say that PCGS is the number one grader out there and then NGC and ICG a close second. Paying the PCGS prices to grade a NGC, ICG or lower TGP is a waste. Take the chance if you want to possibly lose value on an item by crossing over.

Dimedude2 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

It is also fair to change the order of the names in the sentence: NGC for PCGS, PCGS for IGC, IGC for PCGS, ICG for PCGS, PCGS for ICG.

bear32211 likes this.
  4. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I completed a multi-year grading study, submitting hundreds of relatively scarce coins removed from other TPG holders indirectly through various dealers to NGC and PCGS.

I determined if you want a certain TPG/type/grade/condition coin, buy it already "slabbed", even at a significant premium!

My experience has been there are too many variables for a general grading rule, except for some specific dates/types/conditions (e.g. find MS 1945 micro-S "full-band" Mercury dime, or 1889cc Double Eagle).

I've sent un-slabbed ACG coins, receiving a same/higher grade from NGC/PCGS.

The 1972? Coin World study, concluded similarly.

When an ACG coin was submitted for "cross-over", I received a details opinion without slab, but with nasty comment.

Buy "sight-seen" direct, and save!

JMHO

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    bear32211 likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wouldn’t have been a 1972 study, if the subject was TPG-slabbed coins, since slabs only came along in the early 1980s.

Cheech9712 and Insider like this.
  6. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Why the push to cross. From NGC to PCGS? There is very little difference, unless NGC is recently tanking which I do not think is the case.

Cheech9712 and bear32211 like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Some people do it because they have PCGS Registry sets, for one thing.

bear32211 and Dimedude2 like this.
  8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You are correct, the date was May 6, 2003 publication of Coin World, and thus my question mark behind the date.

Thank You for the correction!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    lordmarcovan and Insider like this.
  9. Player11

Player11 Bullish

Numerous downgrades.

10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I’ve tried to cross NGC coins a number of times with variable results. Have had better success with world than U.S. coins. Chances of success are better if coin is in an older NGC holder. I even got an uptick of ½ grade on a two cent coin in an old style NGC holder. If you have a NGC MS coin in the lower grades (60-62), and it doesn’t cross at same grade, good chance PCGS thinks it has a little rub. Consider trying it again allowing a AU58 grade. PCGS appears to be tougher on some U.S. series than NGC … walkers for example.

If you collect expensive coins and really want PCGS, better to buy PCGS in the first place rather gamble on a cross. If it’s a rare coin and you’ve been waiting a while for it to become available, it’s hard not to go for a NGC coin. I've fallen for that temptation.

I wish the grading services would do crossover grading without the graders knowing the current grade on the slab … but they don’t. At a show, I mentioned this to a NGC rep, and she said it wouldn’t make any difference because the graders are professionals. I managed not to laugh in her face.

Cal

11. robec

robec Junior Member

I certainly understand the concept of if you want a coin in a PCGS or NGC slab buy one already in the slab. They problem some have, me included, is that all MS65’s aren’t the same or all Mercury’s, etc aren’t the same.

Sometimes the only coin that fits exactly what you’ve been searching for, but has been impossible to find, shows up in the wrong holder. Sure, you can take your chances and wait until you find it in the right holder. But most of the time eye appeal wins you over and you take your chances with grading or crossing with your company of choice.

It’s definitely a crazy hobby.

12. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Some folks want to get all their coins in certain series in PCGS holders so they can compete in the registry. PCGS allows only PCGS-graded coins in their registry. There are lots of reasons collectors want to complete in the registry. But many collectors couldn't care less.

Cal

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

If it's only a "few" as you say and you're looking at them in hand, you be the judge before they go off. It's not as much of a crapshoot as you think. Crack them out and send them raw! This is the opportunity to test these guys. Many people on youtube do it. I've cracked out two major type coins from ICG and submitted raw to NGC. One got slabbed as the same grade and the other upgraded a grade. I've also sent a handful of PCGS graded coins to cross and they have crossed. I've never had something not cross at NGC. Now this isn't a large sample size and it wasn't PCGS. 37% odds as somebody posted above, isn't great, But ultimately you are the decider of if it's worth the risk. You might be pleasantly surprised if they're really nice. How bad do you want them in a PCGS holder? Crack and send and see what happens. It's enterainment for you and us.

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

They do. It’s called crack out. Lol. If I was sending something I’d be pretty sure of the grade myself backed up by whatever was on the slab it is in. I think I’d rather take my chances and let them judge it with a clean slate vs making them feel obligated to be extra harsh evaluating an ngc slabbed coin. They’re obviously tracking what gets crossed over and they probably want to keep that number down to appear they’re “weeding out” bad grading.

15. Dan Spendlove

Dan Spendlove UncleDano

I want to move a few coins to my PCGS registry set.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted