What has been your experience with submitting to PCGS for Crossover?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dan Spendlove, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Dan Spendlove

Dan Spendlove UncleDano

I have a few NGC, ANACS, ICG holdered coins I am considering sending to PCGS for crossover to PCGS.
    My concern is that if I submit, requesting that they cross at listed grade, I may be getting them all sent back to me, wasting my time and money.

So, what has been your experience? Have they crossed at the grade you expected, or have you been disappointed when they were returned to you?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    lardan, Joel Turner and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I would be very curious if you did this what the outcome would be.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Might be safe to give yourself a buffer range on the listed graded. Take the grade you *THINK* or want the coin to grade, take a point or two off that grade, and list that as the minimum grade you would take on a crossover. That way, more will get slabbed and crossed at PCGS, without you losing like 6 points on a ANACS slab. Less coins will come back to you un-crossed, but the ones that do you will be relieved they didnt get a massive downgrade.

Put another way, they unlikely will all cross at the current numeric grade, so I would suggest not using that as the minimum.

imrich and Dan Spendlove like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Based on reports of forum members here as well as all other coin forum websites over a couple of decades now, the results have gone literally every way there is to go with ANACS, NGC, and ICG. Some downgrade, some cross at same grade, and some upgrade, and some don't get any grade at all. And there have been times that multiple tries have been required before the submitter get's what he wants. Other times he never does.

I would also add that the exact same thing happens when the coin is in a PCGS slab and is submitted to another TPG for cross.

imrich, micbraun, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

My sole attempt at crossover (with an Australian token) failed. I got it back in the same NGC holder. All other times I've cracked 'em out before submitting.

My lack of success on a solitary item doesn't mean anything at all, of course.

7. Dan Spendlove

Dan Spendlove UncleDano

Ya know, it is really kind of sad that you send a group of coins to a place that is supposed hold the keys to thee "grading standards" held high, but turns out to be more of crap-shoot depending on who evaluates your coins and how they are feeling that particular day.

Some days you are lucky and some days you are not.

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

My one crossover attempt went 1 for 2 (an NGC Morgan crossed at the same grade while a PCI Franklin did not cross-that one was a long shot though).

In general, cross overs aren't worth the expense. The odds aren't great (PCGS tends to be conservative-in part because they are looking at the coin through a slab vs raw). You also pay a 1% fee of the PCGS guide value if it crosses (along with the grading fee).

I would only recommend trying on coins where the increased value of being in a PCGS holder justifies the risk (expenses if it doesn't cross). There are also coins where you are better off cracking and sending them raw to PCGS (no holder bias and no 1% premium); of course this should only be done in cases where you don't think the coin will get a details grade or drop down lower than you want.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sometimes you want to give yourself a buffer but other times it is not worth it. If a PCGS MS 64 sells for significantly less than an NGC MS 65, you don't want to put 64 as your minimum. If you get it to cross at 64, you will lose more than if you get the coin back in the NGC 65 holder.

Morgandude11 and Dan Spendlove like this.
  10. Dan Spendlove

Dan Spendlove UncleDano

You make a very good point.

ddddd likes this.
  11. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Tried it once, sent an ANACS coin to PCGS. I marked on the submission form to encapsulate it no matter the grade or condition. Of course they didn't.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Here's the stats from the site as of now:
    Screenshot_20230608-233355.png

13. GDJMSP

As long as one has the knowledge that one needs - luck has very little to do with it.

Each of the TPGs use their own unique set of grading standards - no two of them are the same. And, each of the TPGs is tougher, more strict, on grading a given coin series than the other TPGs are. And, each of the TPGs is looser, more lenient on grading a given coin series than the other TPGs are.

So as long as one knows which TPG is tough, and which is loose, and on which series, and you re-submit to the appropriate TPG, your odds of success, and quite probably an upgrade, increase greatly !

But if one does not have this knowledge then yeah, it's all based on luck.

As it is with most anything having to do with coins, knowledge is the key ;)

14. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Then share your choices per Series as to the preferred TPG/4PG to use, to help the collectors/hobbyists.

Full disclosure: CAC/CACG is my preference for all Series, excepting those categories that are not yet accepted for evaluation by CAC/CACG.

Your preferences?

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The best advice is, if you want your coins to be in PCGS holders, BUY them in PCGS holders. The crossover game is mostly a world of frustration and wasted money.

If you are really serous about it, and have some grading expertise, the best thing to do is to crack out the coin and send it in raw. That what I did when I was looking for upgrades as a dealer. I might be wrong, but when PCGS sees a coin in an NGC holder, you have two strikes against you before you have even come to bat.

16. robec

robec Junior Member

I’ve had better luck with cracking out than with crossing, although if the coin is an expensive one, I would probably try crossing.

Morgandude11 and ldhair like this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I’ve only crossed a coin once, and that was for a customer who saw a coin I had in an NGC holder, and wanted it in a CAC’d PCGS holder for his registry set, even if it crossed at the next lower grade. I was confident it would do that, and it did.

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have had several that play this game tell me the same, always crack the coin out. I had good luck doing that.

robec and Morgandude11 like this.
  19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I have rarely had successful crossovers. As has been said, if you want a PCGS certified coin, buy one in the first place. TPGs rarely second guess themselves. I find, if anything, NGC has been tougher on coins as of recent. If you want to try for an upgrade, you’re better off cracking out the coin. However, be careful doing so. I turned an 1885cc MS 64 PL into an instant details coin, by cracking the holder, and then the coin bounced out of the cracked holder onto the table, and then the floor. Turned a $1000 coin into a $200 coin immediately.

20. Coinnewbee

Coinnewbee New Member

How do you upload a picture on this site if you can help me out that would be great I've tried and can't seem to do it!

21. GDJMSP

Try again ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted