What happens when you follow someone?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Mar 28, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi all.
    I follow a few people here - mainly those whose past posts I've found interesting or relevant to me. But I get no notifications or anything like that when they post something. Do I need to take any further action (like opt in to something or make a selection)? Thanks.

john65999, serafino, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

That's just creepy! ;)

4. JeffC

That reminds me. I'm going to follow you as well.

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've been here 10 years, and I still can't make heads or tails of it. Maybe it is like the Trophy Points. It means nothing.

YoloBagels, Inspector43 and JeffC like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What happens when you follow someone? They call the cops.........

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Be weary of what you might see. Be very weary......

[​IMG]

charley, JeffC and derkerlegand like this.
  9. JeffC

Penny Luster and derkerlegand like this.
  10. JeffC

Wait... What???? But I always check my Trophy Points!

Cheech9712 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  11. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Ok Jeff. I just put you on Follow to see what happens. I thought if you followed somebody, you would get notified of their posts. But what do I know?

Cheech9712 and JeffC like this.
  12. JeffC

That's just it. I've been following you for months now but I get no notification when you post something. So that's why I started this thread. Not sure whether I need to click on something...

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Beardigger

I looked all around. I don't see a way to turn on notifications when somebody you follow posts something. Maybe a Moderator will know @ToughCOINS @lordmarcovan

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That’s how I see it. I in fact posted the exact same question some years ago, but can’t find the thread now. I think there is a feed where you can see recent content from people you follow, but embarrassingly, I don’t remember where to find that either. So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, I reckon it’s like the trophy points: a vestigial feature of the site that doesn’t really count for much, if anything at all.

15. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Depends on who you're following. Sometimes the cops will show up to ask you some questions. Sometimes you'll get section twelved. Sometimes nobody will notice.

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LOL

Beware! @JeffC is watching you. Like Big Brother! ;)

coin dog and JeffC like this.
  17. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

18. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

On the homepage, it tells you whos online with a little profile picture. That's what I do when I am lurking around... If I follow, I'm watching :watching:

And there is a way to see the "status updates" you put on your profile page along with all of your following list. I don't remember exactly how.

JeffC likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nope, there's nothing else to do. And there's not supposed to be any notifications. "Following" someone is nothing more than a convenient way for you to find what they have posted recently, quickly and easily simply by using the forum tools. It works like this - when you put your cursor over you user name at the top of any CT page you'll see this -

upload_2021-3-29_12-50-39.png

As you can see by the highlighted portion it gives you a link to a personal page of yours where the people you follow are all listed. And if you click on one of their avatars it will give you the option of going to that persons Profile Page where you can then click on the Postings tab which will then give you a snapshot of all their recent posts with links to each post.

It's nothing more than an easy way to find posts made by a specific member without having to search blindly for posts made by them.

About all there is to it.

Attached Files:

Wizank, Stevearino, wxcoin and 4 others like this.
  20. Beardigger

Thank You @GDJMSP That was very helpful~ I tried it and it worked!

JeffC likes this.
  21. JeffC

Thanks! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted